Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I cant register for 'myAccount' on Revenue.ie

Options
  • 21-10-2017 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I quit my job about a year ago. I'm on a hiatus. Earlier *this* year however I did do a tiny contract for which I got $4000. Just to be diligent I suppose I better declare that to revenue guys.

I'm trying to but have reached an impasse.

this page says I should *not* register for self assessment, I should use the 'myAccount' thing..

should.png

However when I try to register for the 'myAccount' thing, I cannot as I need either a P60 (I dont have one, I'm not employed) or an acknowledgement of self assessment (Also dont have one I haven't registered for self assessment as they said on the last page that I dont need to)

register.pnghttp:

So..... ????????????
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I quit my job about a year ago. I'm on a hiatus. Earlier in the year however I did do a tiny contract for which I got $4000. Just to be diligent I suppose I better declare that to revenue guys.

I'm trying to but have reached an impasse.

this page says I should *not* register for self assessment, I should use the 'myAccount' thing..

should.png

However when I try to register for the 'myAccount' thing, I cannot as I need either a P60 (I dont have one, I'm not employed) or an acknowledgement of self assessment (Also dont have one I haven't registered for self assessment as they said on the last page that I dont need to)

register.pnghttp:

So..... ????????????

Do a paper return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

The Revenue page you link to says that you do have to register for self-assessment.

These are the exclusions:

You do not need to register for self-assessment if:

you only have PAYE income
    your taxable non-PAYE income does not exceed €5,000 and is taken into account in calculating your tax credits and standard rate cut-off point for PAYE purposes. It may also be taxed at source, providing the gross non-PAYE income does not exceed €30,000. In this case you must submit a Form 12 online through PAYE Services in myAccount.

While your non-PAYE income is less than €5000, it isn't taken into account in calculating your tax credits - because you're not employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭grizzly_beer

You mean a form 12 ?

Seems to be for 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

You mean a form 12 ?

Seems to be for 2016

Form 12, that you link to, says:

NOTE:
    1. An individual who is a ‘chargeable person’ for the purposes of Income Tax Self-Assessment should complete a Form 11 Tax Return and Self-Assessment for the year 2016.
    2. An individual with a PAYE source of income and with total gross income from all non-PAYE sources (including income subject to DIRT), of €30,000 or more is regarded as a ‘chargeable person’ for Self-Assessment and must file a Form 11 for that year.
    3. An individual with a PAYE source of income and with net assessable non-PAYE income (including income subject to DIRT), of €5,000 or
    more is regarded as a ‘chargeable person’ for Self-Assessment and must file a Form 11 for that year.
    4. An individual with a PAYE source of income and net assessable non-PAYE income less than €5,000 (after losses, capital allowances and other reliefs),
    and where the income is coded against PAYE tax credits or fully taxed at source, is not regarded as a ‘chargeable person’

You don't fall into any of those exclusions from self-assessment, so you start with a TR1, which is the registration form for self-assessed taxpayers. https://www.revenue.ie/en/self-assessment-and-self-employment/documents/form-tr1.pdf

Thanks nompere! ...So how many snail-mail transmissions will it take to do that? Do i need to to it all before 31st October? Thats enough time for 0 to 1 snail-mail transmissions I reckon.. Also looks like this is gonna be more work than that little contract!

• Advertisement

nompere wrote: »
    4. An individual with a PAYE source of income and net assessable non-PAYE income less than €5,000 (after losses, capital allowances and other reliefs),
    and where the income is coded against PAYE tax credits or fully taxed at source, is not regarded as a ‘chargeable person’[/B]

You don't fall into any of those exclusions from self-assessment, so you start with a TR1, which is the registration form for self-assessed taxpayers. https://www.revenue.ie/en/self-assessment-and-self-employment/documents/form-tr1.pdf

I believe that OP had a PAYE source of income in 2016 and net assessable non-PAYE income of less than €5000 in that year also.

There are a couple of glitches in logging in to MyAccount...I'm assuming that they'll be ironed out in time, but in the meantime, the simplest way of dealing with this is to make a paper return on a form 12. If the form 12 is not the appropriate form, Revenue will inform OP but I doubt they'll bother...
    At least by doing that, OP has made a return..

exaisle
    Why are people mentioning 2016? I was an employee in 2016, up until mid September, also my non PAYE earnings were 0 in 2016. I got paid for the contract in 2017.

Also what is this 'return' people are also mentioning?
    tx!

"I quit my job a year ago...<snip>...earlier in the year I did do a tiny contract".

People are assuming you did it in 2016 and that you want to declare the private income in addition to your PAYE income.

As the income from the private contract was in 2017 why are you trying to make a return in 2017???? It's not due until 31st October 2018.

"return" is Tax Return....a Form 11...or under certain conditions mentioned above,a Form 12 which is a shorter version.

exaisle wrote: »
    "I quit my job a year ago...<snip>...earlier in the year I did do a tiny contract".

People are assuming you did it in 2016 and that you want to declare the private income in addition to your PAYE income.

As the income from the private contract was in 2017 why are you trying to make a return in 2017???? It's not due until 31st October 2018.

"return" is Tax Return....a Form 11...or under certain conditions mentioned above,a Form 12 which is a shorter version.

I can see how that wording is misleading. Edited it for clarity.
    As for the rest. I have no idea! I dont know anything about all this.
    Hopefully all the snail-mail stuff will have gone through before 31st October 2018 So I'll be ready for that at least!

Advertisement