Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Joyce card

Options
  • 20-10-2017 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

Just saw that Joe Joyce is making his debut on Dave against an unusually strong opponent for a debutant - Ian Lewison over 10 rounds.

Lewison is 12-3-1 (8) and only a year ago went 10 rounds with Dillian Whyte. Hayemaker are promoting Joyce and are certainly showing confidence in his ability. I suppose they can't hang around as he's 32 and he has had 15 fights in the WSB, so isn't exactly a greenhorn to this type of fight, but I'm interested in seeing how he does.

I always thought his style would get caught out in the pros as he relies on enormous strength and excellent conditioning, which I suspect means at some stage he's going to walk into one too many punches and go down. But he certainly will be fun to watch, especially if he continues to get matched so tough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Haye might be a bit of a gob****e but god is he strong at this promoting stuff. Can really ****e talk with the best of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Joyce doing ok with the jab but everything else looks forced and telegraphed. Fancy Lewiston to catch him

pac_man wrote: »
    Lewison should never be 19 stone. He was given alot of notice for this.

Just as well he didn't go any lighter or his shorts would be around his ankles

• Registered Users Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Lewison needs to stay out of Jimmy Chungs

Lewison's corner seem to be spending most of their time taping down his shorts.

Anyway Joyce looks fit but unremarkable. Not much power in his shots.

• Advertisement

Lewison's corner seem to be spending most of their time taping down his shorts.

Anyway Joyce looks fit but unremarkable. Not much power in his shots.

Joyce's left hook is awful, no power or speed in it. Has a decent jab but his footwork is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

Typical Joyce performance. Physically strong and relentless, but mechanical, slow and awkward looking. I really think any big, skilful heavy in good shape should be able to deal with him, but it will be a very good fight while it lasts.

RoryMac wrote: »
    Joyce's left hook is awful, no power or speed in it. Has a decent jab but his footwork is poor.

He is literally the Mummy that Ali mocked Foreman for being (minus the power).

His fitness will however cause trouble for this generation of heavyweights. I could see him giving Dillain white or Derek Chisora nightmares

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

He is literally the Mummy that Ali mocked Foreman for being (minus the power).

His fitness will however cause trouble for this generation of heavyweights. I could see him giving Dillain white or Derek Chisora nightmares

Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking of during the fight!

He even has that blank, impassive face the young Foreman had.

megadodge wrote: »
    Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking of during the fight!

He even has that blank, impassive face the young Foreman had.

Yeah but Foreman would have had Lewison out of it in 1.

• Advertisement

megadodge wrote: »
    T I really think any big, skilful heavy in good shape should be able to deal with him

Not many of them about these days though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Ormond looked to have got shafted on the scorecards.

117-110 is one of those cards that is impossible to believe. I agreed with Andy Lee and had Ormonde well ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Boxing is a joke of a sport. Whats the point bursting your bollocks for weeks to be shafted like that. Filth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Ormond won that with a few round to spare. Awful awful awful decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

Got a good look at Ian Lewinson's crack last night. Off to bleach my eyeballs. :D

Very close fight

8-4 or 7-5 Burnett for me. Two of those judges cards are straight wack tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Murata just totally dominated N'Dam. N'Dam pulled by his corner after 7. Murata really impressive. So accurate.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Murata just totally dominated N'Dam. N'Dam pulled by his corner after 7. Murata really impressive. So accurate.

Absolutely delighted for Murata considering the first fight was such a bullsh*t robbery. Murata is a lovely fighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,772 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ormonde fought very well. Thought overall he nicked it, but as Lee said, close rds...

Really depends on what you like. The forward attacking or the retreating attacking. Both attacked all night..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

You have to admire how Warrington has been managed. He's steadily improving while the opposition has been progressive. However, any of the world champions in that division(and many contenders) should take care of Warrington fairly easily.

You would think so but he has consistently stepped it up as he has gone along. I have expressed my admiration for him more than once, I just think it would be easy (& possibly foolish) to write him off at the top level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

Joyce looks and moves like a block-headed lego figure and seems to throw punches in slow motion. Would expect him to be able beat Sam Sexton now for Brit title.

http://www.worldboxingnews.net/2017/11/01/news/exclusive-zhakiyanov-complaint-filed-after-burnett-misses-post-fight-mandatory-testing

Apparently Burnett missed the post fight piss test. Incredibly unlikely something will come of this even if there is something suss given the power Eddie Hearn has to make these things go away, and it's highly likely Zhakiyanov is just being a little salty but quite interesting nonetheless.

Advertisement