Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Below the Surface - RTE

Options
  • 20-10-2017 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭

This is a Danish drama series that RTE have picked up and it starts tonight with a double bill. I believe there will be 8 episodes in total. The plot seems to centre around a hijacked train.

Anyone planning to give it a look? I've enjoyed the Scandinavian stuff I've seen on telly of late so I'm going to record it and watch it later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I gave this a look and it was a lot better than I expected. I enjoyed it. I felt sure that...
    The karate guy was going to be one of the ones who would be there until the end as normally that is the cliche in shows like this. I thought his behaviour was strange considering the conversation he had with the woman who told him not to put the rest of them in danger - then he goes and does precisely that!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Only spotted that it was on while flicking through the tv guide , just as the second episode was finishing ( doesn't seem to be repeated )

BBC 4 will be showing it at some stage in 2018 , and a second series is in production .

http://nordicdrama.com/bbc-four-picks-up-below-the-surface-for-the-uk/

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Only spotted that it was on while flicking through the tv guide , just as the second episode was finishing ( doesn't seem to be repeated )

Both episodes are available on the RTE Player. You can find them in the drama section.

Both episodes are available on the RTE Player. You can find them in the drama section.

Thanks , I'll have a look later .

I hate using the RTE player though , ads , woeful quality etc.

When BBC show it they'll be no ads :)

I enjoyed last night's episodes again but the second one sort of dragged. I have a theory on where this is all leading which I will put in spoilers in case it turns out to be true...
    I reckon the chief of the security staff, Philip I think his name is, is working with the terrorists. I think he developed Stockholm Syndrome while he was a captive and the "Howdy partner" quote by one of the terrorists may have been a signal to him.

I was starting to think of this last week and when they mentioned in one of the episodes that some military equipment had been stolen that made me think Philip was responsible. He also rushed into the interview room when the guy that had bought a gun was being asked a lot of questions, as if protecting his own skin.

One part of my theory that doesn't add up though is why he went to his boss and said he thought the guy torturing him was involved in the terrorist attack - that would seem to be counter-productive if the plan was to keep this quiet.

• Advertisement

Well this ended last night and I'm not sure if there will be a second series or not. In regards to my theory...
    It turned out to be incorrect. But in the penultimate episode the other characters were starting to doubt Philip like I was.

The storyline was overall quite decent but because I was expecting an even bigger twist I was left slightly underwhelmed and I thought the final episode was an anti-climax.

It was only 8 episodes long so it was worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Seen this advertised on RTE and decided to give it a go as I hadn’t watched a foreign language show in a while. Watched it over the last week, a very entertaining and enjoyable show. I liked the idea behind the hijackers motives, I didnt figure it out. The flashbacks were also good to get more info on the characters.

I liked all the performances, I found the journalist annoying starting of but I grew to like her. I guess a second season could go like The Bridge or The Killing taking on a new case/crisis. I’m surprised RTE got this before BBC.

I would recommend it.

Just bumping this for anybody who missed it on RTE (like me :) ).

It starts tonight on BBC4 @ 9pm , with two episodes per week .

Advertisement