Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domain name availability

• 20-10-2017 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi,

I'm just wondering how I find out when a domain name is about to expire? In my industry a lot of the domain names are on sites that aren't kept updated. I know this is probably my competitors blocking me out, but surely they don't have all angles cut out?

Is there a way of seeing when they will expire?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

This might help I think

http://www.register.com/whois.rcmx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 whitesheep

thanks davyboy1975 but
    No what I'm trying to establish when a domain name is about to expire, not if is available at the momen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The info is in this line;

Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2019-10-26T00:00:00Z

or for a .ie

renewal: 09-September-2018

There might be a grace period of a few months after those dates if not renewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭jmcc

whitesheep wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm just wondering how I find out when a domain name is about to expire? In my industry a lot of the domain names are on sites that aren't kept updated. I know this is probably my competitors blocking me out, but surely they don't have all angles cut out?
    Approximately 24% of websites in the Irish market are not updated throughout the year. People and businesses register domain names for many reasons and sometimes it is to protect their business with variations of domain names or generic words/terms related to their business. Some domain names will be registered and deleted without ever having content. At the moment, approximately 40% or so of .COM domain names are one year wonders in that they are registered and deleted without being renewed. That's tens of millions of domain names a year. In each month, approximately 2.3 million .COM domain names are deleted.

The expiry date for a domain name is the date on which it is to be renewed. The domain name does not necessarily delete on this date. There is a renewal period during which the domain name can be finally deleted. For gTLDs like COM/NET/ORG/BIZ/INFO etc the lifecycle is below:

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/gtld-lifecycle-2012-02-25-en

The problem is that if a domain name is considered valuable, it may be put up for auction rather than going through the deletion process. There are businesses that try to register deleting domain names in order to auction them or for customers who have put in orders of these deleting domain names that don't go to auction.

Things are somewhat different with .IE domain names.

There are more deleted gTLD domain names that were once registered and then deleted than there are active gTLD domain names. Hundreds of millions of them. The best domain names for business tend to be brands rather than generic domain names.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement