Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utility Room Design with plans and pictures

Options
  • 20-10-2017 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Looking for suggestions please on redesign of our utility room.

Currently its more like a hallway as you enter from the kitchen to access both the downstairs toilet and the back door. I don't have enough space in it to dry clothes which is the main aim of the change. We have a boiler in there which we will move out to our garage. So I want to close the door into the downstairs toilet and move it to the main hallway of the house (see "now" and "proposed" plans).

This will create a full useable wall in the utility which is 3250mm x 1850mm. Would love some ideas/inspiration for layout, so basically all it needs to contain/allow for is:
    - a tall freezer (I batch cook and never have enough freezer space
    - a washing machine and dryer (will stack these)
    - storage for cleaning products/washing products
    - drying racks (we currently use two clothes horses in the playroom and I want to stop doing that)
    - a long press for ironing board, brush mop etc
    - a place to hang outdoor coats and store wellingtons.

Im thinking of getting something built in like a combination of the two bootroom pictures ive attached - this might be a good use of a corner and put long presses either side for cleaning products etc and a seat in the corner itself with jacket hooks above. I really don't want to waste the corner with storage that I cant reach/use

I'm in two minds about including a sink, feels like a waste of space when theres a sink in the kitchen beside it and im so tight for space but maybe that's a mistake

Theres a window beside the back door so cant have a tall press there but thought it would be a good place for a laundry rack as the radiator is on the wall opposite so heat/air circulation best in this spot. IKEA has a system called ANGLOT which im thinking of using here but could also also put a small sink and presses here with drying racks above, either the IKEA ones or the Sheila maid pulley system (will need to figure out which has most capacity here)

Ive had a go and am running out of space quickly! (See Utility Details image)

Ideas/Inspiration/Criticism welcome! Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I have a not dissimilar utility room but it's about half the size.

What's the distance between the door and the wall? (Not the one where you have the tall freezer, the other one.)

Can you hang stuff there? Our equivalent is about 10cm and I have two big hooks that take my drying rack and ironing board, beside that is an iron holder and the hoover (it's a dyson cordless so small) hangs there too. I have another spot for mops and brooms but if I didn't there'd be a hook for them too.

I have a pull out shelf between the stacked washer/dryer which is handy.

For our hall I was very keen on getting the mud room/boot room style set up you linked but in the end we went for three floating shelves and a row of hooks over them.

These are the hooks:
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/small-storage-organisers/hooks-hangers/bj%C3%A4rnum-hook-aluminium-art-40152591/

They're the same hooks that take the ironing board (one hook at each corner) with the drying rack behind. They also comfortably take two coats (so many hooks don't, the coats slip off) and they can be used for a row of hangers too. I'm a bit fanatical about how great they are.

The shelves are these but we had metal finish selves they don't seem to have at the moment. We went for the open shelves because it's a bit more flexible usage wise and it felt cleaner.
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/storage-furniture/wall-shelves/ekby-bj%C3%A4rnum-ekby-j%C3%A4rpen-wall-shelf-white-aluminium-spr-79929647/

Photos of both set ups attached.

Design wise I would consider putting the freezer and washer dryer next to each other on the short wall then a full wall of algot shelving on the other wall. Adjust the algot inserts to accommodate what you need. Do you have a dryer at the moment? We got a heat pump condensing dryer and honestly I never hang clothes anymore. It's cheap to run and so much handier. Basically I'm saying to think about how much space you need for drying, you might not use it except for a small few delicates. Also could the pulley system go over the doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RyanAsh

Thanks PhoenixPartner for your reply! The wall on the left as you go from the kitchen into the utility is about 3ft long but only maybe 10cm deep and the back door opens inwards against it but the main issue with it is that there is a radiator on it so hence the reason I was putting the drying rack opposite it. We currently have coat hooks above it. Your question makes me realize tho that I haven’t planned anything for above the rad so need to think about that. Your idea for the floating shelves is good so gonna consider this for sure! I need a trip to IKEA to see/feel some of their stuff and look at that ANGLOT unit.

The reason I don’t want to put all the appliances on the short wall is because I’m not sure then what I can do with that corner.....maybe I’m overthinking the corner problem but at the moment it’s a total waste

• Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Homer

Slightly Off topic but RyanAsh, I was wondering what you used to make those floor plans? Looking to do something similar for a
    Project we are working on in the new house! Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Ryanash, the corner might be a good place for mops and brooms and tall stuff. You only need a small gap to be able to reach in and get them out. That or a full height corner carousel you could use for storage.

Homer - I don't know what ryanair used but I use sketchup for similar projects. It's great for layouts and works in 3d too. You can also use the 3d warehouse to import furniture and use a plug in to render the whole thing to a photo realistic image.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RyanAsh

Homer wrote: »
    Slightly Off topic but RyanAsh, I was wondering what you used to make those floor plans? Looking to do something similar for a
    Project we are working on in the new house! Thanks in advance

I used Microsoft Visio - it has a function to plan office space so is sufficient for this but doesn't have any functionality for 3D etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement