Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manager and discretion

Options
  • 19-10-2017 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, besides a bit of common sense and decency, is there any rules for a manager telling other colleges your info on your whereabouts when sick or hospital appointments etc?

Reason i ask, said manager, is a bloody mouth piece, Im absolutely sick of it.

My personal belief is that say i got to an appointment, lets say chiropractor, he doesnt have to run around telling everyone where i am gone. It should be private between myself and my manager what i am doing, not the whole office. At this stage, people in different departments know where you are and why your off early/in late. If anything, those who i directly work with, i wouldnt mind him saying Mel be in at 10am today. END OF STORY, no explanation or details.

Am I right in what I am thinking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Yep, pretty much. For example I had a car accident (which was my own fault) and had to drop my car into a garage. My boss thought it was a great laugh and told the all male team.

Sometimes you literally just have to say it straight. For example I had a female manager who had a miscarriage (in work). I knew enough not to say anything but a colleague (we had both found our boss) gossips about it. I just said to her that C was having a hard time and said to our overall boss that she had a medical emergency and had to leave. C never forgot this and promoted me later for discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think the best approach is direct for something like this.

Express concern that provate conversations between you and your manager are becoming common knowledge and that you expect things to be kept private going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭mel123

_Brian wrote: »
    I think the best approach is direct for something like this.

Express concern that provate conversations between you and your manager are becoming common knowledge and that you expect things to be kept private going forward.

Yeah i think you are right. I dont want to fall out with him, we have a good relationship, but hes worse than a woman for the gossiping and im going to blow a gasket :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Don't tell him the reason, or at lease limit what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

mel123 wrote: »
    Yeah i think you are right. I dont want to fall out with him, we have a good relationship, but hes worse than a woman for the gossiping and im going to blow a gasket :D

Uh Oh!! He didn't just say what I think he did, did he??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Men can be even worse than women for workplace gossip. I work with a guy mid 40s and hes worse than a 9yr old girl when it comes to catty gossip, talking about people behind their backs and even probing the women in the office for more gossip. The same guy has a paper thin skin and if anyone said anything about him he sulks and makes a big drama. Jesus wept, and hes married with 3 kids. I pity the wife imagine being married to that man child.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

As a manager I would never share anyone's information. If staff are close then they already know where their colleague is, if they're not then it's none of their business.

Sometimes all it takes though is a quiet word. Just something like "I'm quite a private person so would you mind not sharing my information in the office please?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭mel123

beauf wrote: »
    Don't tell him the reason, or at lease limit what you say.

I do, but even when i say for example leave 30 minutes early for an appointment (i dont go in to anything else, he must bloody go around 'oh shes gone off to an appointment'. Seriously like, its that bad. Other employees shouldnt/dont need to know where i am going. Once i had a kidney infection and left work early, came in the next day and everyone knew. Oh great, you's all know im in pain while taking a wee!!!!

Advertisement