Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bohernabreena reservoir

Options
  • 19-10-2017 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I was just wondering if anyone knows what kind of wildlife is about in bohernabreena ? Someone new to Dublin has asked me what's up there as they'd be a big wildlife fan , so is there just your regular pigeons and stuff , or can you see squirrels and rabbits or pheasants or something ?

If this is in the wrong thread place admin feel free to move it

Cheers all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I've seen the usual Irish birds like pigeons, robins, wrens etc, also rabbits, rats, deer and once a red squirrel. I keep looking out for the red squirrel but never saw him again!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I've seen red squirrels up there also and this summer for the first time a pair of buzzards and a mink in the dodder canal section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

I don't get there very often, but spend a lot of time in the Dublin hills. There's lots of wildlife around, and with a bit of luck and a keen eye you can see a lot. In the last few weeks I've got within a few feet of multiple deer (They're so common there is a culling programme to keep their numbers under control), a pair of very large badgers, a buzzard, a lizard, grey and red squirrels. All on either trail or road.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not necessarily around the reservoir, but as Enduro says, there's lots of wildlife up in the hills if you're patient enough.

In addition to what he mentioned, you'll often see hares. Bird wise there's grouse, snipe, skylarks and meadow pippits, and if you're lucky and in the right place peregrine falcons.

Also, not exactly wild as such, but in certain places you'll often come across sizeable herds of feral goats.

In Glendalough there's a good number of bat species including Daubenton's bats that feed on the lower lake. The NWPS information service near the upper lake has a roost in it's roof space.

Speaking of Glendalough, it's rutting season right now, so lots of activity around the Glendasan valley, take the White walking trail up to the footbridge and up onto the Spinc and you'll definitely hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

I've seen Heron up there perched on top of the very tall trees around the reservoir and then diving for fish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement