Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing a bike...

Options
  • 19-10-2017 6:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭

There used to be a few characters in the country who would import second hand bikes from places like Germany...

Whats involved? I'm considering moving back to ireland and would like to set aside a budget to get a bike... Ideally a Moto Guzzi V7 or a Triumph Bonneville... Although the MG scares me slightly with the lack of a distributor...

Whats the best way to go about sourcing a bike... I notice that Autotrader & Adverts don't have allot going on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

UK is the way to go.

Weak sterling and everything setup for LHD.

Germany is only worth it for something not available in the uk when you take into account travel ans convering the lights to LHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

UK is the way to go.

Germany is only worth it for something not available in the uk when you take into account travel ans convering the lights to LHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

colm_c wrote: »
    UK is the way to go.

Thanks, will start doing my research...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

colm_c wrote: »
    UK is the way to go.

When buying from the UK, buying new, is there anything to consider? Sterling exchange, VRT, transport .... anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

make sure the bike has over 6,000 km or you will have to pay VAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Bike must also be over 6 months old to avoid VAT.

I was a bit shocked by the new price of a Bonneville in Ireland... €12,000 for a T100...

I can find something used in the UK for about €9,000... But I'm worried about the VRT/VAT situation... I'm looking at the model launched in 2016, here's an example.

Seems like by the time I pay tax & delivery to Ireland, I'm up to the price of a new bike from the dealership...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Makes no sense to pay VAT twice. That's why there's no saving.

Lumen wrote: »

It looks like the VAT isn't an issue, once the bike is 6 months old...
    https://allmoto.ie/site/how-to-register-a-motorcycle-in-ireland/

still:
    bike cost: €9,000
    VRT: €1,250
    Transport: ?
    it's already around €11,000

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bluefoam wrote: »
    It looks like the VAT isn't an issue, once the bike is 6 months old...
    https://allmoto.ie/site/how-to-register-a-motorcycle-in-ireland/

still:
    bike cost: €9,000
    VRT: €1,250
    Transport: ?
    it's already around €11,000

That's 10250. And transportation is about 300

Not 11000 yet..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can reclaim the UK VAT when you pay the Irish VAT. But unless buying brand new, where you can avoid UK VAT as you are exporting, it's not worth the hassle when you can easily find a >6k km and >6 month old bike and make a bigger saving.

listermint wrote: »
    That's 10250. And transportation is about 300

Not 11000 yet..

I suppose it's difficult to justify, I had considered 10k + I need to do my license and get some reasonable gear...

In fairness, this all started because I was considering getting an old Vespa as a run around for when I return to Ireland... Now I'm looking at big money for a luxury I don't absolutely need...

I just need to figure out how I get this done...

I suppose it's difficult to justify, I had considered 10k + I need to do my license and get some reasonable gear...

In fairness, this all started because I was considering getting an old Vespa as a run around for when I return to Ireland... Now I'm looking at big money for a luxury I don't absolutely need...

I just need to figure out how I get this done...

Ah didn't realize.

Mate that's too much cash to be putting down on a first bike.

Get something older to learn the trade on.

You can get something special when you've got some hours in the seat and feel happy and comfortable

Ah didn't realize.

You can get something special when you've got some hours in the seat and feel happy and comfortable

It's okay... I rode bikes for years, just never got my license... The Bonne was always my dream bike, my uncle who lived in London used to send me the Triumph brochures when they got their **** together back in the 90's, so it's always been the target... I feel like at this stage in my life I should be able to own the bike I want... I just have other financial pressures to get over... don't we all...

Why???

I bought a brand new bike, for my first bike. No regrets at all. I still love the bike, and so far it's my one and only bike. I spent 15k on it, new from the shop.

Paulw wrote: »
    Why???

I bought a brand new bike, for my first bike. No regrets at all. I still love the bike, and so far it's my one and only bike. I spent 15k on it, new from the shop.

Because you're a loon and most people will drop a brand new bike if just starting out.

That's why.

Im sure you can see why stepping stones is better when getting into motorcycling we have hundreds of threads on it.

That's why

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Because you're a loon and most people will drop a brand new bike if just starting out.

That's why.

Im sure you can see why stepping stones is better when getting into motorcycling we have hundreds of threads on it.

That's why

That's what crash bobbins where invented for. The cost of repairs doesn't change much if the bike is new or old, so dropping a 10 year old bike won't be much cheaper than dropping a 1 day old bike when sourcing replacement parts.

.... So

I plan to do the A license.
    Will the T100 be suitable? It's 865cc, 65bhp (tbc)...
    When I look at the NDLS.ie list it says it's suitable for A2 if restricted. I'm guessing that means if its not restricted it is suitable for the A license test?

Many experienced riders also drop bikes. :rolleyes:

Being a new bike doesn't increase nor decrease the probability of a drop. Yes, some inexperienced riders can drop the bike, but many also don't. It can depend on the bike and the rider.

.... So

I plan to do the A license.
    Will the T100 be suitable? It's 865cc, 65bhp (tbc)...
    When I look at the NDLS.ie list it says it's suitable for A2 if restricted. I'm guessing that means if its not restricted it is suitable for the A license test?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87126282&postcount=5
    “A Category A motorcycle without sidecar, whose unladen mass is more than 175kg, with an engine power of at least 50kW. If the motorcycle is powered by an internal combustion engine, the cubic capacity of the engine shall be at least 595cm3. If the motorcycle is powered by an electric motor, the power to weight ratio of the vehicle shall be at least 0.25kW/kg”

• Advertisement

Being a new bike doesn't increase nor decrease the probability of a drop. Yes, some inexperienced riders can drop the bike, but many also don't. It can depend on the bike and the rider.

I think people should buy whatever they hell they like...

...but if you do buy a cheap bike, make sure you smash it into a million pieces so that you can go on boards and lecture people about the stupidity of buying an expensive bike before you're ready.

:D

Thanks Lumen... I must have missed that in all the excitement... As it happens, I am looking at a slightly older bike now, but not because I'm planning to drop it...

It's the expense.

I think that eluded most...

Advertisement