Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4x4 Storm Proofing Project

Options
  • 19-10-2017 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Well lads hows it going, After starting up an environmental engineering business in the past few months. Bought a Landcruiser 2010 to carry around equipment and tow a small enough trailer. Perfect for the job.

A fair bit of my work will involve been out in Storms like we have seen there with Ophelia last Monday and we will see again this weekend. Dangerous enough driving around in it as unfortunately we seen this week.

Anyway I had a thought, The landcruiser would do me 95% of the year but I was thinking about buying something Cheap enough around the 2-3k mark for the other 5% of the time, Then maybe putting another 2-3k into it, to put retractable Mesh screens on the Windows (something like the PSNI have for riots on their defenders, they would stop most missiles ie flying tiles) , Improving the strength of the body such as a Reinforcing the doors and roof with something like a rollcage and finally then a few other bits and bobs.

Anyway any thoughts on the idea like suitable models for less than 3,000 would be much appreciated. Also if anyone has undertaken a project like this or has examples feel free to share.

I know for normal 4x4 enthusiasts this is probably a bit extreme, but when this will probably be a key vehicle for my business and to ensure safety during dangerous weather periods I think it is a must given some recent events plus I expect storms like Ophelia to become a much more Frequent event in Ireland.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Nothing you can fit to a 4x4 will stop it being crushed like a coke can if a tree falls on you.
    Trees have huge weight and TBH its a bit delusional to think that a few pipes will protect you. Roll cages are only designed to stop the cab being crushed by the vehicle weight if you roll over.
    Nothing will ensure your safety more than not being in a position of being crushed by a tree or washed away by high and moving water.
    A bigger issue will be insurance as no insurance company will want to be associated with anything like what you are proposing to do.
    If all else fails go with one of these:

14189886691.JPG

Honestly OP to me you are coming across as a bit naiive to the danger and not alone that but the risks to first responders who may have to rescue you from a situation.

Have you done any 4x4 driving courses? It could be worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If you need to put shielding up on your vehicle for the weather, then its probably not the weather to be out in your vehicle.

4X4's are easily swept away in as little as 200-300mm of water if its fast moving. It's a common mistake people make thinking they have a 4X4 and can go through any sort of conditions

Ophelia was a once in a lifetime event. The last time a storm like that was 55 years ago. You can probably stay at home for that 1 day of the year.

Not to mention your mods being legal, engineers reports, insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Anyway any thoughts on the idea

Generally I think this is a poor idea. Storms like Ophelia are very uncommon in Ireland so you might only have a few days work for this vehicle in any 10 year period. Yet it needs to be at the ready all the time. That's a lot of wasted tax, insurance and yearly test and maintanance bills.

Also I don't see the reasoning why you think major storms are going to be come more frequent in Ireland

A roll cage is only to stop the roof caving in in the event of a rollover, even the strongest rollcage, either internal or external would easily be squished by even a moderate size tree.

If your driving in a storm and a tree falls you are stuck there if the road is blocked, getting out to saw it up or winch it wouldn't be wise.

The best way to ensure safety during dangerous weather is to not go out in the middle of it. A storm only lasts a matter of hours, after that a regular jeep will do.

A modified 4x4 will work in areas of flooding, but only really if you are still driving on the road underneath. Driving in deep water is a precarious business that can leave even the most extreme 4x4 stranded before you know it. A 4x4 will need a LOT of maintanance if you wade regularly or for extended periods. A tractor would be better!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I see people driving these on the storm chaser shows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_Intercept_Vehicle

But they rarely ever actually catch a storm and it all the videos there's normal vehicles driving past.

I can't see how a job can specify that someone has to drive out into weather which would require such a vehicle in a non emergency situation in these Health and safety times and if they do they are leaving themselves wide open to litigation for lack of employee safety.

Advertisement