Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BikeRadar lock test: £11,000 of locks destroyed - the results

Options
  • 18-10-2017 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Happy to know that I'm using one of the best :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Pity they didn't include the Kryptonite NY Faghettaboutit Mini in their tests.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Who won?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

godtabh wrote: »
    Who won?

Chuck Norris

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

tl;dw

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Chuck Norris

Chuck work for ABUS

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i got as far as the first test, which ABUS seems to have won, thought 'funny that' and closed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

i got as far as the first test, which ABUS seems to have won, thought 'funny that' and closed it.
    ....and they won overall also!

....mmmmmmmmmmmm.........

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

godtabh wrote:
    Who won?

It's only 13 minutes long and really interesting. Maybe watch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Actually...their recommendation from the first test was the Litelok.

The recommended chain was Hiplok Homie.

D-locks was indeed "won" by Abus but Kryptonyte a close second

and the overall toughest lock is a a super expensive 3.2 kg motorbike d-lock (Abus)

Hope this summary satisfies the goldfish and conspiracy theorists in the audience

For the extra pernickety detail fanatics...here is a link to the full test result graphics
    https://imgur.com/Hlbrlov

Said link can be found in the BikeRadar article on the subject which is linked to in the video description (which of course involves reading which is probably asking too much from those that can't even be bothered watching)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

peasant wrote:
    The recommended chain was Hiplok Homie.

That hiplok homie looks to be the one to for for..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

tedpan wrote: »
    That hiplok homie looks to be the one to for for..

Wouldn't want to have to carry it though :D

I've got the Abus Granite 540 d-lock with the universal bracket.
    Makes it very comfortable to carry on the bike.
    I'm very happy with the lock...but then again I don't have to leave my bike unattended all day at train stations and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Good video, cheers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I bought the kryptonite U lock that came a close second. Nice lock, but the mount is terrible. God damn it kryptonite would you ever design a mount that isn't crap. I can't understand how they haven't fixed this, they've used this design for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The Abus City Chain 1060 doesn't do all that well in the tests, which suggests that they didn't go easy on Abus.

I find it a very good lock for a cargo bike, but it looks a bit average in some tests.

I guess the star rating is more or less value for money, as I don't quite see why the Litelok gets a better rating than the City Chain if it's based on security.

(Or, indeed, why the City Chain gets the same star rating as the Kryptonite Keeper, when the latter does worse in every category, apart from price.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I bought the kryptonite U lock that came a close second. Nice lock, but the mount is terrible. God damn it kryptonite would you ever design a mount that isn't crap. I can't understand how they haven't fixed this, they've used this design for years!

The Evolution? Agree that the mount is crap on that, rattles for the first few days when it does work, then the lock won't come out of the mount, if you try to put a bit of lube on it then the part of the mount attached to the lock comes loose and spins around. Considering taking this off altogether but aside from the mount it is a solid lock

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The Evolution? Agree that the mount is crap on that, rattles for the first few days when it does work, then the lock won't come out of the mount, if you try to put a bit of lube on it then the part of the mount attached to the lock comes loose and spins around. Considering taking this off altogether but aside from the mount it is a solid lock

No, the yellow new york lock they reviewed. Big heavy bastard. But it comes with the same mount as the evolution. The evolution seems to just about survive in the mount from my experience but with the heavier higher end locks it puts too much pressure on it making it sag and rattle. Tbh, I just carry the lock in my bag when I need it so it's not a huge problem but it's definitely something they should fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

I’m always disappointed that people generally don’t post what lock they were using in the Stolen Bikes thread. It would be very useful information. From reading it and other reports of stolen bikes in Dublin, I never saw a report of a bike with a yellow kryptonite on it stolen, and only twice read of bikes with an orange kryptonite stolen. I’d feel comfortable recommending using an orange and grey kryptonite together on bikes under €1000, and if leaving the bike regularly in the same place, leaving a yellow one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

I’m always disappointed that people generally don’t post what lock they were using in the Stolen Bikes thread. It would be very useful information. From reading it and other reports of stolen bikes in Dublin, I never saw a report of a bike with a yellow kryptonite on it stolen, and only twice read of bikes with an orange kryptonite stolen. I’d feel comfortable recommending using an orange and grey kryptonite together on bikes under €1000, and if leaving the bike regularly in the same place, leaving a yellow one there.

I use 2 yellow Kryptonite when leaving for more than an hour or so and I'm more worried about vandalism / damage from attempted robberies.

Does anyone know how often Kryptonite update their locks. Is a yellow one today the same as last year's? And is it easy to know you're getting the latest one.

I'm a big Kryptonite fan. I have an abus granit Which I think is higher rated than my new York's, but I don't feel it has the same deterrent factor

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Im using a kryptonite krypto grey series 2 for the front of the frame with a cable for the front wheel and a kryptonite series 4 integrated chain for between the chain stays and rear wheel. Bike in also in a keypad operated shed amd point of locking is integrated into the concrete.

Going by them results i might pick up a new york as my locks are some of the lowest on that list

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Im using a kryptonite krypto grey series 2 for the front of the frame with a cable for the front wheel and a kryptonite series 4 integrated chain for between the chain stays and rear wheel. Bike in also in a keypad operated shed amd point of locking is integrated into the concrete.

Going by them results i might pick up a new york as my locks are some of the lowest on that list

I think the orange is a good middle ground and I suppose it depends on how much your bike is worth.

In my opinion an average cost commuter bike with an average dlock through the back wheel and frame just isn't worth it for the regular thief. They're mostly walking about with bolt cutters looking for sh*tty cable locks. The only time I think a thief will bother attacking a Dlock is if it's in a secluded and quiet place and the bike is worth the money.

It's also worth noting that these are lab tests and this annoys me a touch. I understand the need for some type of standardised testing but saying things like... this lock needed x amount of newton metres of force to break open means nothing to Joe Bloggs. Also that automated saw.... sweet jesus like.... that would have struggled to cut butter from the fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

In my opinion an average cost commuter bike with an average dlock through the back wheel and frame just isn't worth it for the regular thief.
    as they say; it's not about outrunning the bear, it's about outrunning your friend.

They're mostly walking about with bolt cutters looking for sh*tty cable locks. The only time I think a thief will bother attacking a Dlock is if it's in a secluded and quiet place and the bike is worth the money.

Yes, I get the impression that bolt cutters are the most common of the hard-core methods. Maybe bottle jacks? I guess that's covered by the "tensile test".
    It's also worth noting that these are lab tests and this annoys me a touch. I understand the need for some type of standardised testing but saying things like... this lock needed x amount of newton metres of force to break open means nothing to Joe Bloggs.
    I quite liked the specificity of these tests. All the same, the torsion tests wouldn't interest me that much, as I don't think thieves have many good options in the open to exert huge torsion on locks (they do sometimes use the bicycle frame itself). The saw tests are relevant enough, as saws, I have read, are used sometimes, as well as hammers, but I think the bolt crop tests are really the most important ones. Some notion of how big a bolt cropper is needed to exert the critical force in the table, and whether the user needs to put one handle on the ground would be interesting. I mean, if 100cm bolt cutters are needed to defeat my primary lock, I woudn't be that worried, even if other locks can resist huge bolt cutters.

From that article I linked to, the Sold Secure definition of a thief's standard toolkit:
    The basic bicycle tool list consists of items such as screwdrivers, junior hacksaw, pliers and steel tube. The enhanced bicycle tool list adds in stillsons, larger tube, ball peign hammer, HSS hacksaw, punch set, side cutters and 16" bolt croppers. The full tool bicycle tool list adds in socket set, spanner, more screwdrivers, 24" scaffold pole (for use with stillsons), club hammer, TCT hacksaw, freezing agent, cold chisels, 24" bolt croppers, 24" wrecking bar, scissor jack, slide hammer and lock picking tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

No, the yellow new york lock they reviewed. Big heavy bastard. But it comes with the same mount as the evolution. The evolution seems to just about survive in the mount from my experience but with the heavier higher end locks it puts too much pressure on it making it sag and rattle. Tbh, I just carry the lock in my bag when I need it so it's not a huge problem but it's definitely something they should fix.

The New York M16 comes with the mount. The New York M18 comes without a mount. That’s the one they tested. I have both the M16 and M18. Both really heavy locks and beat carries in a backpack.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I never saw a report of a bike with a yellow kryptonite on it stolen, and only twice read of bikes with an orange kryptonite stolen.

I've cut through a yellow krypto and an orange. The yellow was a lot tougher, had to change batteries on the angle grinder. It's a cheap angle grinder, I'd imagine a decent DeWalt or similar with lithium ion batteries would be a lot better. Didn't get any hassle from anyone, but I don't look like a bike thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yes, I get the impression that bolt cutters are the most common of the hard-core methods.

I've read that the foldable type are favoured.

ToughBuilt-Compact-Bolt-Cutters.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

peasant wrote: »
    Actually...their recommendation from the first test was the Litelok.

It can be broken open simply by just twisting a steel bar thru it tho ffs:confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I bought the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain and Padlock (150cm) Black/White and Kryptonite Stronghold Surface Ground Anchor Black. I hope they are worth the money

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

An angle grinder can cut through any lock in less than 60secs. Cheaper locks will take 10secs. It's also easier some times to cut through a bike rack.

I use currently using a massive Abus motorbike D-Lock. I am thinking of also using a 2nd alarmed d-lock and getting a seatpost GPS tracker. This combined with bike insurance would be the ultimate anti theft system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....This combined with bike insurance would be the ultimate anti theft system.
    Leaving aside your locking strategy, having bike insurance won't do anything to prevent theft.

Advertisement