Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting work in Toronto

Options
  • 18-10-2017 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

So I have been knuckling down trying to find work in Toronto. I have been in an IT helpdesk role for three years in London and never had trouble getting a job there.
    Is it just me or is the response time in Canada a lot slower than Ireland and England?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

From what I her the recruitment process is definitely a lot slower in Canada. Are you already over there or applying from London

• Registered Users Posts: 20 crimon222

I actually found the response times in Canada to be reasonable, but you would have to be physically in Canada or applying for a position with critical needs. If you're outside of the country, I highly recommend going through a recruitment agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 filmfanb

Yes, I am here already. Decided to come here early and get a place to live etc......

But ya, I am finding it a lot slower than the UK for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭username2013

filmfanb wrote: »
    Yes, I am here already. Decided to come here early and get a place to live etc......

But ya, I am finding it a lot slower than the UK for sure.

I think you need to be more aggressive in chasing the jobs. When I first came I would apply for a job online, then ring the recruiter listed on the job posting generally starting with "Im calling regarding the role, I've just submitted my resume....." I found that this put me fresh in their minds and I was able to talk my way into interviews this way. Don't wait for them to contact you. Also has your resume/CV been canadanized?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 filmfanb

I think so. Do you have any references of what Candanized means? 

Thanks for the idea of calling up. I will spend the day doing that tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭username2013

filmfanb wrote: »
    I think so. Do you have any references of what Candanized means? 

Thanks for the idea of calling up. I will spend the day doing that tomorrow.

Yeah, I would imagine you probably have this done, but you can get good tips here: https://moving2canada.com/resume-format-in-canada/

Advertisement