Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED Beacons

Options
  • 17-10-2017 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all,

Not posted for a while. I bought led beacons back in the spring but didn't get around to fitting them till now. I have 2 beacon on the tractor using one feed they are pole mounted beacons. I went to fit and turn on the led beacon and only one will flash. Have I a shortage in circuit going to the beacons would I need a relay to step up the circuit to make led beacons work

Thanks and cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Either a fault in the one that doesn't flash, or there is a switch somewhere that changes the flashing sequence.
    Leds use little power, so a relay isn't necessary. Anyway, relays are only used to save your switches from overheating.
    Run a separate cable straight from the battery to test the faulty one.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Davef1978

I have power at both beacon brackets at the moment as I'm using 2 rotary type beacons. The one that isn't working for me has been replaced but yet may not be working. I'll carry out test tomorrow and see how I get on I'll let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭emaherx

Davef1978 wrote: »
    I have power at both beacon brackets at the moment as I'm using 2 rotary type beacons. The one that isn't working for me has been replaced but yet may not be working. I'll carry out test tomorrow and see how I get on I'll let you know

LED's only work with one polarity. Have you tried switching the + and - cables?

emaherx wrote: »

LED's only work with one polarity. Have you tried switching the + and - cables?

That means current will only pass one way in circuit. I've not tried to switch the positive and negative could be worth a try. It is all manufactures spec wiring

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭emaherx

That means current will only pass one way in circuit. I've not tried to switch the positive and negative could be worth a try. It is all manufactures spec wiring

Light emitting diode (LED). That is the main chareteristic of a diode it only allows current flow in a single direction.

Diodes are used in circuits to rectify AC current into DC current due to this chareteristic. (Not light emitting type obviously as they can't handle much current.)

• Advertisement

emaherx wrote: »
    Light emitting diode (LED). That is the main chareteristic of a diode it only allows current flow in a single direction.

Diodes are used in circuits to rectify AC current into DC current due to this chareteristic. (Not light emitting type obviously as they can't handle much current.)

Thanks for that info I understand it all better now

Yesterday after a bit of head scratching I got the beacons to work. I took direct power to beacons. With the rotary beacons the mounting brackets were been earthed so took away earth and just went straight to the pole mount plug on the bracket so jobs a good one now

Advertisement