Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I disable WPS?

Options
  • 17-10-2017 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭

I got a new router recently that has a WPS button on it, and I've managed to connect a few items to it using the WPS button.

It got me thinking though, if anyone happens to come over to the house and wants to get onto the network they can just press the WPS button and connect their device without knowing the WIFI password, so I assume it's a fairly risky thing to leave enabled?

If I disable it, I assume that everything previously connected via WPS will still work fine and not need to be re-added to the network?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They will stay connected. WPS Pin has issues, WPS Push button is still OK IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

But technically it's still possible for someone to jump onto my network just by pressing the WPS button right?

It's not really a huge concern but mainly a curiosity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If they can stand beside it they can reset it and do whatever the hell they like. Its kinda like locking the radio in your car so a thief cant use it as he drives off in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Ah I'll disable it so. Just a bizarre function to have available where you bypass the security key by pressing a button.

Advertisement