Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam Calls from Chad and Liberia (+231 / +235)

Options
  • 17-10-2017 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭

There's a rash of these dodgy calls from Chad & Liberia numbers going on at present. I've gotten 3 or 4 today and several people I met today are getting them too.

00 235 90 97 29 90

This is the one I've gotten a few times already. Just one or two rings, then hangs up. I haven't answered them though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Comhra wrote: »
    There's a rash of these dodgy calls from Chad & Liberia numbers going on at present. I've gotten 3 or 4 today and several people I met today are getting them too.

00 235 90 97 29 90

This is the one I've gotten a few times already. Just one or two rings, then hangs up. I haven't answered them though.

Got the same myself, call from Liberia this morning and Chad a while ago, didn’t answer either just blocked the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Sure they're grand lads probably just checking if we are ok after Ophelia 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The only way these fraudsters can get their hands on your money is if your phone provider obligingly takes it from your account/credit and hands it over to them.
    The most at risk are elderly or vulnerable people who may not be savvy enough to know whats going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

elperello wrote: »
    The only way these fraudsters can get their hands on your money is if your phone provider obligingly takes it from your account/credit and hands it over to them.
    The most at risk are elderly or vulnerable people who may not be savvy enough to know whats going on.

Ffs, you're like a broken record.

Networks simply cannot ban every number from a country.

Get over it, accept the warnings the networks give and stop being billergerent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Post up the numbers they are using, so for anyone seaerching the number will bring them to this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭elperello

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Ffs, you're like a broken record.

Networks simply cannot ban every number from a country.

Get over it, accept the warnings the networks give and stop being billergerent.

Calm down CF.
    I'm not asking them to block the numbers just to stop taking money from their customers and sending it to fraudsters.

Elderly or vulnerable people are especially likely to fall victim to this scam.

If you think I am being belligerent you should get out more and hope you never meet the type of people behind this scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Davy wrote: »
    Post up the numbers they are using, so for anyone seaerching the number will bring them to this thread.

Here are two I've got in the last week, they let the phone ring twice & then disconnect, assume it's a dialler doing this.

+269 9002185 = Comoros
    +212 626380448 = Morocco

Like me you'll probably have to look up where Comoros actually is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭bromley52

These numbers have contacted me in the past. Some of them seem to come from Ireland but use call forwarding.

+353432677658
    +353432657840
    +2699105001

I would suggest adding them to your call block list or even better add the 1st 5-7 digits including the + to the block list.

For android, to add a number to an autoreject list
    1. Long press the number in the call log.
    2. Select the 3 vertical dots at the top.
    3. Select add to auto reject list

For android users, to add part of a number select,
    1. call icon
    2. 3 vertices dots.
    3. settings
    4. calls
    5. Call rejection
    6. Auto reject list
    7. Select the + sign
    8. Under match criteria select starts with.
    9. Enter the 1st 5-7 digits including the +.

When including irish numbers I would include more digits so as not to bar any valid numbers trying to call you.

It would be great if more would add their scam numbers to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

just got one from Albania

*00 355 67 328 3010‬

Advertisement