Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help me choose a new diesel

Options
  • 17-10-2017 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys(great forum),
    as title says, I'm in market for used car with around £10k budget (including my avensis trade in)

Heart says Mazda 6 2.2 diesel (I know there are major dpf issues, has anyone got
    a reliable one?)

Head says 2015 VW passat (could only afford 1.6 tdi though)

also a new avensis could be possibility.
    I do about 16k miles a year and drive 30 miles to and from work each day on mostly A roads so DPF regeneration shouldn't be issue but still can't trust Mazda, beautiful as it is.

Any experiences/advice on either car would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are you in the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mickybass

Norn Iron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Is it 30 miles per day or 60 miles per day?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Is it 30 miles per day or 60 miles per day?

Sorry 60 miles altogether

Update:
    So I bought a 2015 1.6 diesel passat b8, great car! Only slight problem is i have chanced job and commute is only 9 miles each way. Should I get a petrol to avoid DPF issues down the road (pun intended)?

• Advertisement

Mickybass wrote: »
    Update:
    So I bought a 2015 1.6 diesel passat b8, great car! Only slight problem is i have chanced job and commute is only 9 miles each way. Should I get a petrol to avoid DPF issues down the road (pun intended)?

https://www.volkswagen.ie/en/models/e-golf.html

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why not just keep the car you have now until you start experiencing problems attributed to the change in driving style.

Mickybass wrote: »
    Update:

If you only bought the car and you are going to lose a fortune I wouldnt bother changing anything.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bazz26 wrote: »
    Why not just keep the car you have now until you start experiencing problems attributed to the change in driving style.

Which probably will not come anyway... Modern diesels are much better at dealing with short trips than those from decade ago.

Yeah that makes sense just dontvwant to start replacing filters etc.

It is a great car so I'll just settle the head and keep it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

grogi wrote: »
    Which probably will not come anyway... Modern diesels are much better at dealing with short trips than those from decade ago.

Eh?

Advertisement