Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bed with storage

Options
  • 17-10-2017 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to find a King Size bed with built in drawers underneath. Ikea only has two suitable beds (Nordoli and Malm), neither of which I'm keen on.

I don't mind a Divan style necessarily but a lot I've seen so far are either very cheap looking or very very expensive, I just can't justify 1k for a bed frame.

Something with a nice head board preferably.

Has anyone any suggestions? I can hold off till January sales so can wait for a potential bargain too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

There are other types of storage beds around, those that store underneath the mattress.
    There's a few on made.com such as this one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I'm not interested in an ottoman bed not practical for day to day access and won't work in the attic).

Looking for built in roomy drawers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

GingerLily wrote: »
    I'm not interested in an ottoman bed not practical for day to day access and won't work in the attic).

Looking for built in roomy drawers

Only throwing out a suggestion as there were no other replies to your query.
    I've not seen any drawer type storage bed other than divan style.

LMGTFY

Only throwing out a suggestion as there were no other replies to your query.
    I've not seen any drawer type storage bed other than divan style.

LMGTFY

I don't mind a Divan style and I've googled it too. Was hoping to get recommendations from posters.

I'm not mad about buying online without seeing in person so somewhere with a showroom preferably.

So I've found the bed I want but John Lewis don't deliver furniture to Ireland

https://m.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-emily-storage-bed-frame-king-size/grey/p2991673

Does anyone know where to get a similar style bed or know a practical way to get this one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jrby

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Where are you based?

Dublin!

Thanks but I'm really looking for non-Ikea suggestions that don't cost the earth (<600e) and has built in drawers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

GingerLily wrote: »
    Thanks but I'm really looking for non-Ikea suggestions that don't cost the earth (<600e) and has built in drawers.

You're asking a lot I think. Beds with storage can be expensive enough but needing it to be a King with headboard can really drive up the price. Cheapest on Harvey Normans site:

http://www.harveynorman.ie/bedroom/beds/upholstered-beds/duval-bed-tufted-button-headboard-with-storage-4-drawer-5ft-mink.html

Ring Respa, or pop into a shop that sells respa stuff. They used to flog a divan based for about €300 to us* and would charge €35 per drawer (you could have up to 4 drawers, 2 on each side). I think 300 or so was for a 4'6. People confuse king and queen size all the time, as most people just use 'foot' size now, but i think the 5ft was a little more, but the 6ft was mental money. For whatever reason.

*when i say 'us', I used to manage/work in a small time furniture store. Always found Respa good quality and reasonably priced. I'm going back a few years, though, so prices may have increased since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Try ringing DHL. It may not be that expensive to get it shipped over. I've gotten items in UK shipped over and saved 100's versus Irish prices even with shipping cost included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

For some context, I bought a 6 ft solid oak ottoman bed frame in the UK last year. Was expensive at €725 but the same frame in any Irish store was nearly €1,200. Supplier wouldn't ship to Ireland or even the north so I got them to ship to a freight distributor in Manchester (Trans-Bridge Freight) who did the necessary. Bed frame was nearly 150kg packaged in 5 large boxes and delivery to my home address came to just under €103.

A lighter bed frame or packaged in less boxes wouldn't be as expensive to ship but get multiple quotes if looking at that route. Some of the quotes I got for shipping from well recognised names were astounding so pays to shop around.

For some context, I bought a 6 ft solid oak ottoman bed frame in the UK last year. Was expensive at €725 but the same frame in any Irish store was nearly €1,200. Supplier wouldn't ship to Ireland or even the north so I got them to ship to a freight distributor in Manchester (Trans-Bridge Freight) who did the necessary. Bed frame was nearly 150kg packaged in 5 large boxes and delivery to my home address came to just under €103.

A lighter bed frame or packaged in less boxes wouldn't be as expensive to ship but get multiple quotes if looking at that route. Some of the quotes I got for shipping from well recognised names were astounding so pays to shop around.

Thanks, I've contacted John Lewis and maybe they'll be able to help me but otherwise I'll look into shipping :)

I guess I just don't understand the prices of some Divans/beds so I don't know how to justify the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Hey, I recently bought two king size bases in the Furniture District store in the Royal Livor retail park on the Naas Road.

I think the base was about 350 - you can get up to four drawers added in and the headboard was included - this was the most reasonable price I found with drawers but the bed didn't have the legs like you have in the JL bed.

The standard base in Harvey Norman is 350 but you'd need to add on the drawers and headboard.

I checked them out in Matress Mick but the quality was not good - the materials looked very cheap.

Advertisement