Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting laser done on 1 eye only

Options
  • 17-10-2017 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

I have had a weak/lazy eye since a kid.
    Patches or glasses made no difference to that eye.

My good was always excellent up until a few years ago where I now have to wear -1.5 contact in the good eye.

However the contacts are beginning to drive me mad. With the newer contacts I am finding them very difficult to sit on the eye properly and it is becoming a nuisance to wear them. Even when I take the contact out of its package it doesn't sit on the finger very well and the edges are floppy and thus easy to fold back on itself and not sit on the eye properly.

I am at the stage where I am considering laser.
    However, I believe they are reluctant to do it if your other eye is significantly weaker. I can barely read the last couple of lines on the eye chart with my weaker eye.

Is it possible to get it done?
    Has anyone in a similar position got it done?
    Is the price around €500?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Joe222 wrote: »
    I have had a weak/lazy eye since a kid.
    Patches or glasses made no difference to that eye.

My good was always excellent up until a few years ago where I now have to wear -1.5 contact in the good eye.

However the contacts are beginning to drive me mad. With the newer contacts I am finding them very difficult to sit on the eye properly and it is becoming a nuisance to wear them. Even when I take the contact out of its package it doesn't sit on the finger very well and the edges are floppy and thus easy to fold back on itself and not sit on the eye properly.

I am at the stage where I am considering laser.
    However, I believe they are reluctant to do it if your other eye is significantly weaker. I can barely read the last couple of lines on the eye chart with my weaker eye.

Is it possible to get it done?
    Has anyone in a similar position got it done?

Thanks

When I worked in laser, I would put it to people, if anything were to happen to your good eye in surgery would you be happy with the vision in your weaker eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Joe222 wrote:

Have you tried different types of contacts? I know some I used to use were weaker or less solid than others!
    Joe222 wrote:

Don't know if you'll get it for 500.. you may do, as your prescription isn't that strong.. I paid 2600 for 2 eyes and that was with sigificant discount.. I'd advise organising a consultation or 2 before making your decision.. if even just to price it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Absolutely not 500 euro. Mine was 1600. Work is same for both strengths. Get both done.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Joe222

Thanks for all replies.
    amtc wrote: »
    Absolutely not 500 euro. Mine was 1600. Work is same for both strengths. Get both done.

But is it possible to get a weak eye done which can't be helped by corrective lens? I would presume not as it is just the lens that is operated on no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Joe222 wrote:
    But is it possible to get a weak eye done which can't be helped by corrective lens? I would presume not as it is just the lens that is operated on no?

I don't think they read the post right.. if a corrective lens can't fix they weak eye then I doubt laser can.. it would be worth asking though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

It is possible to have laser done on your better eye, but most surgeons would caution you as there is always a risk. As rightly pointed out above, how would you cope if the laser surgery went wrong and you were left with only your weaker eye as your main vision?

An experienced surgeon using the latest technology will be charging at least €1,000 per eye.

If you don't like your current contacts, have a good chat with an optometrist and see what they can offer.

Advertisement