Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmet Question

Options
  • 16-10-2017 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭

I'm going to pick up a helmet to use here in the Middle East, but also to bring home to use in Ireland, whenever that happens...

Can I use a DOT certified helmet or do I need an ECE certification?

Also, I know that tinted visors are legal in Ireland, but what do you find best? I want a visor I can use throughout the day/night and throughout the year... should I just go with clear, smoked, or with a fade from clear to smoked...? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

not sure on dot / ece but for visors get a clear visor and whatever else you want, no point looking for a one size fits all

ECE approval for the helmet is required to be legal on roads in the EU. Have a look for DOT and ECE dual approval lids.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

Get a clear visor you can't use a dark or smoked one at night, have a look at lids with internal visors

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

If available get a photicromatic visor. Not quite as good in the sun as a full tinted visor but works well in all conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Looks like clear might be best for me... Can always wear some sunglasses if I need. Want to keep things as simple as possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just buy 2 visors and swap as needed.

Edit

Or get an AGV with LCD visor

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/236278

Del2005 wrote: »
    Just buy 2 visors and swap as needed.

Edit

Or get an AGV with LCD visor

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/236278

Two visors is too limiting... I'd need to have tools to change them and would need to know where I'd be at any time... I'm better of with clear and dealing with the sunshine when I need to...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

they are actually handy to change probably 15 seconds or so on my helmet and they can be thrown into a bag

but you can always just get one and then get a second if you feel you need it

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Two visors is too limiting... I'd need to have tools to change them and would need to know where I'd be at any time... I'm better of with clear and dealing with the sunshine when I need to...

I've never seen a helmet that requires tools to change the visor, the worst I had was an Arai that I could only change if sitting behind it. You can get little bags to carry the spare visor. I couldn't be arsed messing about with shades inside a lid, especially in a place renowned for its sunshine.

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/New-Oxford-Motorcycle-Stowaway-Anti-Scratching-Spare-Visor-Carrier-Belt-Bum-Bag-/232432260875?_mwBanner=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Changing visors is handy enough, seconds in most cases. But why bother?.

I'd go with clear, get a 'pin lock' too ~ they're a few quid but well worth it.

My AGV has an internal visor, works brilliant. You can wear sunglasses but I'd caution against something hitting them & causing them to shatter. I've never seen it happen, but its something worth considering.

• Advertisement

Can anyone educate me on comms systems... What are people using?

I'm considering a Sena 3S-W... It's simple and doesn't have a huge set of buttons attached to the outside if the helmet, which means its less likely to get damaged and not exposed as much to the elements.

If I buy one of these, can I use the intercom function to speak to other riders in a group, or do they need to have the same model... are different brands inter-operable? I'm aware that it's range is short, but that shouldn't be much of an issue for me...

Anyone have other recommendations?

https://www.sena.com/product/3s/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Flip down visor has worked grand for me, lots of even cheap lids have them these days, normal visor and then a 'shade' that pops down on with a slider on the side of the lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

I'd go with clear, get a 'pin lock' too ~ they're a few quid but well worth it.

Pinloc are great but so easily scratched, also in very bad conditions moisture can get between the pinloc and your visor, happened to me and a mate, very frustrating but in fine weather the "reactive" pinloc are really good, maybe not as dark as I would like but still worth the money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Can anyone educate me on comms systems... What are people using?

I'm considering a Sena 3S-W... It's simple and doesn't have a huge set of buttons attached to the outside if the helmet, which means its less likely to get damaged and not exposed as much to the elements.

If I buy one of these, can I use the intercom function to speak to other riders in a group, or do they need to have the same model... are different brands inter-operable? I'm aware that it's range is short, but that shouldn't be much of an issue for me...

Anyone have other recommendations?

https://www.sena.com/product/3s/

The rider to rider (or pillon) need to have the same system for the Bluetooth systems to work.

You can also pair your system with your phone to have calls and other audio.

OP - you seem to be getting ahead of yourself, in the other thread you said you will get the license when you get back to Ireland. In that case I would get all the stuff here/online. Headsets would be at end of my list of stuff to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

You dont need tools to change a visor on modern day/latest design helmets.
    Most are quick release quick fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I'm going to pick up a helmet to use here in the Middle East, but also to bring home to use in Ireland, whenever that happens...

Can I use a DOT certified helmet or do I need an ECE certification?

Also, I know that tinted visors are legal in Ireland, but what do you find best? I want a visor I can use throughout the day/night and throughout the year... should I just go with clear, smoked, or with a fade from clear to smoked...? Thanks.

If it's good enough for DOT it's good enough. The question of legality is one of whether or not you think you'll get nicked for using a DOT helmet. Hardly..

I can't see any merit in anything that would reduce your vision at night. So completely clear.

If it's good enough for DOT it's good enough. The question of legality is one of whether or not you think you'll get nicked for using a DOT helmet. Hardly..

Potential for limited payout if involved in a crash which involves head injuries if you are not wearing a legal lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

I can't see any merit in anything that would reduce your vision at night. So completely clear.

Laughable that only last month you were harping on about the dangers in getting on a bike and now this month you're suggesting having a DOT sticker on your helmet is good enough. You don't know your arse from your elbow if that's your advice. :rolleyes:

You dont need tools to change a visor on modern day/latest design helmets.
    Most are quick release quick fit.

I'll be getting a retro style helmet, so the visor will be attached by a screw fix with tread lock... so changing out visors regularly won't be ideal...

As for certification, I'll only consider ECE, vased on what I've learned. The lid I wanted originally is only DOT, so I've had to look elsewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement