Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan Cheese

Options
  • 16-10-2017 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have recently gone Vegan after being a vegetarian for 10 years .

The only thing I miss is cheese in sambos . I am on the lookout for a vegan cheese . I tried some from a local Health food shop and both were absolutely rotten , very rubbery , like blocks of hard butter .I think one was vio life and the other follow your heart

Is there an edible vegan cheese substitute out there?

Thanks for any help ,

Barra

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

The only thing I miss are chess & tomato pizzas. I too am looking to find the ideal vegan cheese.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭MissMayo

I love Bute Islands Sheese's but some people find that they taste acidic and "vomity". I really like their strong cheddar variety.

I second hating Violife too, it tastes like plastic and chemicals to me.

Have you tried looking on plantgoodness.ie? They have a decent selection of cheeses.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

for my money this is the best I've found. Melts very well too you can get it in slice and grated form. They also do different flavours, chilli smoked etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

MissMayo wrote: »
    I love Bute Islands Sheese's but some people find that they taste acidic and "vomity". I really like their strong cheddar variety.

I second hating Violife too, it tastes like plastic and chemicals to me.

Have you tried looking on plantgoodness.ie? They have a decent selection of cheeses.

Hi MM.

Are Bute Islands Sheese sold in shops or only online?

Edit: I just saw on their Twitter page that they supply Tesco & Sainsburys.

Edit: On buteisland.com/where-to-buy -- iihealthfoods.com near Mitchelstown seems to be the only place in Ireland where they sell them.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi MM.

Are Bute Islands Sheese sold in shops or only online?

Edit: I just saw on their Twitter page that they supply Tesco & Sainsburys.

Edit: On buteisland.com/where-to-buy -- iihealthfoods.com near Mitchelstown seems to be the only place in Ireland where they sell them.

I'm living in Castlebar and there's a health food shop here cashed Staunton's who order it in for me whenever I ask them to do if you live near a health food shop with a fridge you could try asking them to get some in for you as most of them seem to order from the same wholeseller. They make Tesco's own brand vegan cheeses but they only stock them in the UK as far as I know, which is a shame. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

The Vegusto cheese range are lovely I think - but they are pricey and not available from any of my local health food stores. They have a UK website but for some reason you can't complete the order with a ROI address online even though they do deliver to ROI, they have said they would look into and fix this but never have, but if you ring them up they'll take your order over the phone. I buy in bulk as the dates are very good and the cheese is definitely not rubbery....lovely and creamy!

The Vegusto cheese range are lovely I think - but they are pricey and not available from any of my local health food stores. They have a UK website but for some reason you can't complete the order with a ROI address online even though they do deliver to ROI, they have said they would look into and fix this but never have, but if you ring them up they'll take your order over the phone. I buy in bulk as the dates are very good and the cheese is definitely not rubbery....lovely and creamy!

Which ones do you like? The only one I have liked has been their mushroom one, every other flavour that I have tried has been rubbery with an awful plastic taste. :( I'm assuming most people like them though as they seem to be sold almost everywhere here! Have you tried looking in Dunnes and SuperValu? My local ones sell Violife, which I was very surprised by!

Edit: AAAHHHH!!!! This is why I should not reply just after waking up, I thought you were talking about Violife because apparently i need my brain to wake up more before I can read!

You can get Vegusto on PlantGoodness.ie but yes they are expensive. I tried one last year, the No Moo Piquant I think, and I agree that it was very nice and creamy, it definitely does not have a pre packaged feel to it at all, more like a tough feta cheese. Have you tried asking your local health food shop to order it in for you? I used to work in one and can confirm that if they order from IIHF (most seem to) then Vegusto cheeses are definitely in that order book. :)

I love the piquant one(https://vegusto.co.uk/no-moo-piquant.html) and the herb one(https://vegusto.co.uk/no-moo-herb.html) is lovely on crackers. Their award winning one(https://vegusto.co.uk/no-moo-mildly-aromatic.html) I have tried also and like it in sandwiches - couldn't fault any of them really. Rubbery or plastic are the last words I would use to describe any of them - they are lovely smooth creamy cheeses but pricey. I haven't come across their mushroom one and don't see it on their website - are you sure it's the same brand we are talking about? I have tried a number of the violife ones(cheddar, the pizza one and goats cheese slices and then also the creamy/soft one) and the hard cheeses to me are rubbery - but each to their own:D!!

I love the piquant one(https://vegusto.co.uk/no-moo-piquant.html) and the herb one(https://vegusto.co.uk/no-moo-herb.html) is lovely on crackers. Their award winning one(https://vegusto.co.uk/no-moo-mildly-aromatic.html) I have tried also and like it in sandwiches - couldn't fault any of them really. Rubbery or plastic are the last words I would use to describe any of them - they are lovely smooth creamy cheeses but pricey. I haven't come across their mushroom one and don't see it on their website - are you sure it's the same brand we are talking about? I have tried a number of the violife ones(cheddar, the pizza one and goats cheese slices and then also the creamy/soft one) and the hard cheeses to me are rubbery - but each to their own:D!!

I just posted an edit to my above post, now that I have woken up and can actually read properly, apologies! :pac:

The edit I posted was:

Edit: AAAHHHH!!!! This is why I should not reply just after waking up, I thought you were talking about Violife because apparently i need my brain to wake up more before I can read!

You can get Vegusto on PlantGoodness.ie but yes they are expensive. I tried one last year, the No Moo Piquant I think, and I agree that it was very nice and creamy, it definitely does not have a pre packaged feel to it at all, more like a tough feta cheese. Have you tried asking your local health food shop to order it in for you? I used to work in one and can confirm that if they order from IIHF (most seem to) then Vegusto cheeses are definitely in that order book. :)

Makes more sense now MissMayo!! Yeah I should try my local health food store and see if they would be willing to get some for me - worth a try!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The best to me are wilmersberger (only available online), vegusto and little green leafs blue and smoked blue cheeses (available in nourish). For the likes of violife or follow your heart put the slices on sandwiches and you'll like it, they are great for toasties with melted cheese too.

Sheese is available in down to earth in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

Has anyone tried "Nature & moi" from Tesco? may take a chance on it this afternoon!

Feu wrote: »
    Has anyone tried "Nature & moi" from Tesco? may take a chance on it this afternoon!

I used to get it when Dunnes sold it a while back, I found it very bland but the cheddar sliced are delicious when melted into mashed potato.

I tried the pizza one - did not like it at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

The Koko range in Dunne's , do a great cheddar , doesn't taste rubbery , has a coconut taste which I happen to like , they do a cream cheese too ,

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

The Koko range in Dunne's , do a great cheddar , doesn't taste rubbery , has a coconut taste which I happen to like , they do a cream cheese too ,

I will check them out immediately!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

We got a pack of the smoked one and it's pretty nice - the smoky flavour is pleasant and the texture is fine. I'm not vegan myself so I'd be comparing it to ordinary cheese and I found it perfectly fine. I've tried violife block and honestly, I though it was awful; so rubbery and tasteless.

Advertisement