Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim Training Bench

Options
  • 15-10-2017 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Have toyed with the idea of getting a swim bench ,Vasa, Triton or similar over the last few years. The whim comes and goes... Can anyone recommend one or have had any experience using one. Good investment or waste of time?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Had to google what a swim training bench is...

....have seen them used in some technique videos I've watched, have never seen anyone here talk about their use.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

they've come up a couple of times, Kurt had a few posts in one i recall, worth a search but i'm not sure what term will find it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I looked into them, but ultimately they didn't seem that different to what you can do with resistance tubes tbh. I might be missing something though - I'm very much a beginner/ improver level at swimming. I'm planning to do some resistance tube work as won't get to the pool as much this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

I considered one, never used one, and decided against one based on numerous chats with swimmers who had used them in the past. The consensus was they are obselete- useful for catch and pull corrections with a good coach observing (nowadays done by video analysis), useful for leg work (with weights) most suited to developing breaststroke kick. Take that FWIW, but if you are looking to complement swimming I'd say resistance bands would be more useful. If you are looking to replace pool swimming then an endless pool is more useful. If you live in the middle of the desert then they are better than no swimming I guess.

2c until someone who has used one gives more specific advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i guess more or less what kurt says
    but to keep it a bit real, an endless pool is certainly not somethiing one should be recommended to buy for private use.
    If money is no object great , but i guess overall we have to think more how can we reduce the cost of the sport rahter than increasing it
    and a swimbench as some good points too.

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I looked into them, but ultimately they didn't seem that different to what you can do with resistance tubes tbh. I might be missing something though - I'm very much a beginner/ improver level at swimming. I'm planning to do some resistance tube work as won't get to the pool as much this winter.

to be fair there is a difference, of course, does the extra cost justyfy that is another question. and would have to be assest more on an individual basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

peter kern wrote: »
    i guess more or less what kurt says
    but to keep it a bit real, an endless pool is certainly not somethiing one should be recommended to buy for private use.
    If money is no object great , but i guess overall we have to think more how can we reduce the cost of the sport rahter than increasing it
    and a swimbench as some good points too.

Where is the fun in that:)

Where is the fun in that:)

decisons
    one goal 2 outcomes
    you fun and no kona
    zico no fun and kona lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

peter kern wrote: »
    decisons
    one goal 2 outcomes
    you fun and no kona
    zico no fun and kona lol

You have hurt my feelings:), better than the 3rd outcome of no fun and no Kona, plenty fall into that category

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

, plenty fall into that category

was just thinking there were more than JB and zico targetng kona who don't fit into either of those silos.

• Advertisement

Fran this way for fun ;)
    IRONMAN Foundation annual Kona auction: Beginning on April 1, 2017, one slot will be auctioned off each week for five weeks on eBay. The first four slots will benefit the IRONMAN Foundation Community Fund and will be 100 percent tax deductible less the value of the race registration (minimum opening bid of $25,000).

Originally from: http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2017/03/11-ways-to-get-to-kona.aspx#ixzz4vsEiz2C2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Supposing you did live in the middle of a desert* and you wanted to buy a swim training bench, where would be the best place to buy one?

*It wouldn't have to be delivered to the middle of the desert.

zico10 wrote: »
    Supposing you did live in the middle of a desert* and you wanted to buy a swim training bench, where would be the best place to buy one?

*It wouldn't have to be delivered to the middle of the desert.

I came across a Vasa on Adverts a couple of years back (decided against it). You can buy secondhand and replace with new resistance cords. There is an old one rusting away by the pool I use- I'd imagine if you put a query to Masters groups you may get a reply from some who have unused ones. I'd say you could build one easily too using an old rowing seat and some cords.

The power-based Vasa Ergometer looks like a very expensive toy to me, one that would be soon tired of. I fully agree with Peter that an Endless Pool is an unnecessary expense (but as someone who spends his day quantifying good investments from bad, it's still a better investment than a static swim bench IMO). And since the OP was asking about good investments, I'd imagine the best investment for most is paying more pool entry fees.

By the way, swimfitpool.ie do a "bag of heated water" for €4.5K that looks like an exercise in frustration more than anything else, but might suit some between the Vasa and Endless pool pricepoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    By the way, swimfitpool.ie do a "bag of heated water" for €4.5K that looks like an exercise in frustration more than anything else, but might suit some between the Vasa and Endless pool pricepoints.

Did you not make something similar with a kiddies paddling pool and a giant elastic for a lot less a few years ago? ;)

Advertisement