Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is LC Honours Maths?

Options
  • 15-10-2017 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

How hard is it? Is it as difficult as everyone says? I found JC HL Maths to be tricky but ended up okay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

naxmax9 wrote: »
    How hard is it? Is it as difficult as everyone says? I found JC HL Maths to be tricky but ended up okay.

How long is a piece of string!

Its doable once you put the effort into it. I'm repeating OL at the moment all going well I will try HL next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Difficult? Not necessarily.
    Time-consuming? Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

The biggest difficulty is that you will be challenged in the exam to apply knowledge to solve problems rather than regurgitate stuff that has been rote learned. Your teacher will prepare you by teaching you the basics, the methods in each particular topic but to get good at the problem solving you need to practice, practice, practice....and that's where the time comes in.
    The more questions you see in each topic the better prepared you will be and the less likely you are to be surprised in the exam. I would say that if you found Junior Cert Maths tricky, then LC will be tricky too but if you work at it and are well organised it is not as daunting as people make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Celtron

Leaving cert maths gets a bad rap for being a tough subject, granted you do have to be good at maths but the majority of people who complain about the coursework either 1)don’t actually like maths ,or 2) aren’t putting enough work in and are only their for the extra points.

Most of book 1 is simple, financial maths may throw a few people off but if you can get your head around the basic concepts the rest just falls into place, proof by induction isn’t bad just learn off the format (let n=1, assume true when n=k etc.) complex numbers is a handy one if you do applied maths (you don’t do it in applied maths but your knowledge of graphs and trigonometry will help). As far as calculus goes, differential and integrals seem to come up together in questions regularly, and if you understand one you’ll get the other because integration is just differentiation in reverse.

In book 2 there’s a lot of needless information thrown in to the Statistics chapters, as my teacher said “just a load of reading you don’t need to learn most thst sh*t this is maths not English), and statistics is an easy chapter if you know the different types of correlations off and know how to use your calculator. Probability is pretty much the same as junior cert just a little tougher. Then you’ve got geometry and co-ordinate geometry which, if you understood them in junior cert, are a walk in the park. Trigonometry is handy for those doing Applied maths but if you aren’t it isn’t that complicated just know how to use the log tables. The last two chapters are constructions and enlargements which are not that complicated at all, especially if you did Tech Graph for junior cert.

Sorry I’ve gone on a rant , just really passionate about maths, if you’ve any specific questions don’t hesitate to contact me

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Any subject by it's nature can be mastered with the simple process of time.

Just get the solutions to every Leaving cert paper. Do every question and review the answers and understand the answers. Do the same for every question in the book.

Make multiple passes through the material and you'll know maths like the back of your hand come exam time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement