Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm coming

Options
  • 15-10-2017 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how everyone is securing their bikes for the coming storm? My bike is parked out the back under a cover that's tied down. In all the storms that have come in the last 4 years I've been at this address the bike hasn't moved.

But this Ophelia that's coming is supposed to be the worst in 50 years. I've taken drastic measures meaning I have a heavy bench made from pallets that I have put beside the bike on the stand side and chained to it. There is a 6 foot tall wall on the other side of the bike. There's not much else I can do, but hope this does the job. I could be overdoing it but can't be too careful I suppose. Wish I had a garage!

I'll be bussing to work Monday night for sure!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Remove the cover, let the breeze through the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Just been upgraded to Red nationwide.

Feck it, taking no chances. :pac:

20171015_201902.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Yep best idea, flying slates are like razors.
    I remember seeing a car outside with a slate sticking out of the roof after a bad windstorm in 97/98.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'm supposed to be working outdoors tomorrow.
    Surely they won't order me??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

blade1 wrote: »

If you are injured by their negligence in ordering you to work outside in a Red warning then they won't have a leg to stand on.
    If you are worried then call the HSA and see if their inspector will call out and have a word, with them. Not being ****ty about it but its not a trivial affair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Remove the cover, let the breeze through the bike

Is this the best option?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    If you are injured by their negligence in ordering you to work outside in a Red warning then they won't have a leg to stand on.
    If you are worried then call the HSA and see if their inspector will call out and have a word, with them. Not being ****ty about it but its not a trivial affair.

No that's perfect CJ,thanks.
    They probably won't send me out but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cian_ok wrote: »
    Is this the best option?

Yes. Cover could become a sail and knock the bike or just get ripped to shreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Bike is currently parked in my hallway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

As long as you're not painting you'll be grand :D

Good shout on the bike covers. Just thought the same thing earlier today but haven't taken it off yet !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just got a text saying my workplace will be closed tomorrow. I'd already arranged a day off for myself, and told my team to stay home and I'd sign them off for the day.

There wasn't anything to be done tomorrow that couldn't be done on Tuesday - if the roof is still on the building :eek:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I got a phone call about 20 minutes ago... Work cancelled!!

Screenshot_20171015-233547_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Alkers

I can fit another bike or two on my.bloxk shed in d12 if anyone is stuck. It's not likely to get bad before 10am in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Brought mine inside the house, doesn't take up much space and have the peace of mind that its as safe and secure as me. Not worth taking a chance with it, a powerful wind could easily knock a bike off its side stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Is anyone leaving the bike outside ? Getting very worried here.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

Just got into work on the bike to see an email from the boss sent at 11pm last night telling me not to come to work.

Looks like it's time to go home and strap myself in for the day.

Bike will be stuck in the shed or the kitchen til tomorrow

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

You've all got big houses or small bikes!

My old lardbucket is staying outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Last minute confirmation out from the office, the entire building is being closed for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

beno619 wrote: »
    Is anyone leaving the bike outside ? Getting very worried here.
    Mine is. Missus won't let it in the house and I can't get it into the shed, such as it is. Have taken the cover off, moved it around the side of the house up beside the back gate where the wind should only be blowing in one direction and put it up on the centre stand.

Mine is. Missus won't let it in the house and I can't get it into the shed, such as it is. Have taken the cover off, moved it around the side of the house up beside the back gate where the wind should only be blowing in one direction and put it up on the centre stand.

Jesus that's harsh!:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Screw this!! Mine is now safely parked in the hallway. The missus insisted on it!!

It's starting to swirl now where I am.
    Someone's jacket just went flying over my house.
    At its worst so far.
    Crows are actually going backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Driving back form wicklow just now..100kph...got passed by a gang of leaves........:)

Driving back form wicklow just now..100kph...got passed by a gang of leaves........:)

I would have knocked her back a couple of gears and performed a punishment overtake on those leaves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

I would have knocked her back a couple of gears and performed a punishment overtake on those leaves!

Whopper punnishment overtake with a good tail wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Its not even a hurricane anymore.
    Its a bit of wind now but the entire country must shut down.
    FFS like.......
    Lets blame it all on Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Over-reaction, its not even raining (Dublin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Its not even a hurricane anymore.
    Its a bit of wind now but the entire country must shut down.
    FFS like.......
    Lets blame it all on Brexit.

But on the plus side I got the night off work!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

:D..i thought of that but there was a nasty looking Tayto packet with them.....

• Advertisement

Electricity gone where I am and storm kicking in big time!

Advertisement