Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Like getting back on a bike...

Options
  • 15-10-2017 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭

I used to ride bikes... probably between 2000 - 2008. Had Vespas' and then a Honda Varadero...

I didn't get my test, due to a holy ****up by ISM & eventually my boss asked me to get a car for business, so I haven't been on bikes much since...

I'm living in exile from the recession in the Middle East, but beginning to think of coming home. The bike license here isn't worth the paper it's printed on... So I need to wait till I get back to the auld sod to start thinking about my license...
    • Because I'm in my 40's, I believe I can get tested for any bike size without restriction. Is that correct?
    • Do I need to do the theory test, or will my full Irish License be enough to get my new learners permit?
    • What is the likely total cost... permit; IBT; bike rental; test? all the waty through to picking up the licence. Based on getting it first time.

I want to rent a bike for the training and test as I want to get a licence for higher capacity bikes, but probably won't get a high powered bike at first....

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Bluefoam wrote: »
    • Because I'm in my 40's, I believe I can get tested for any bike size without restriction. Is that correct?
    • Do I need to do the theory test, or will my full Irish License be enough to get my new learners permit?
    • What is the likely total cost... permit; IBT; bike rental; test? all the waty through to picking up the licence. Based on getting it first time.

Yes, apply for 'A' which covers any bike.
    Theory test, is most likely required. Contact the RSA with your license number to confirm.

Costs -
    theory test - €45
    learner permit - €35
    IBT approx €500 (including use of school bike)
    Full test - €85

Of course, you also need your helmet and gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thanks Paulw... That's very clear. I was hoping to get away without the theory test, but its no big swing to do it...

It looks like they are trying to make it very difficult to research... Maybe they're trying to discourage people from bikes. The RSA & NDLS sites both have info on the motorcycle license buried deep & even then it's not very clear...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

IBT 500
    Theory test 45
    Provisional 35
    pretest(2hrs) 90
    pretest(morningof) 50
    rent bike (for test) 50
    full test 85
    insurance 1st year 481.4

that's what it cost me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭blade1

IBT 500
    Theory test 45
    Provisional 35
    pretest(2hrs) 90
    pretest(morningof) 50
    rent bike (for test) 50
    full test 85
    insurance 1st year 481.4

that's what it cost me

Saucy enough when you have other stuff to buy starting out.
    Although your insurance seemed very reasonable

Thanks lads, I was considering about €1000 to get my license... The cost of moving home will be high & I can get access to a car, so an vintage style geared Vespa is in my plans for the first year, just for a bit of freedom. When I have my license & am a bit more settled I'll probably look into a Moto Guzzi V7.

I want to keep my costs down cos I'll need a car as well. The bike is purely for leisure, after my last stint I'm not keen on commuting by bike. You can probably tell I'm not into pure power and speed, just the fun of a bike...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

blade1 wrote: »
    Saucy enough when you have other stuff to buy starting out.
    Although your insurance seemed very reasonable

The cost snuck up on me I haven't added everything up but I easily have thousand+ worth of petrol receipts, 3 oil changes 2 filters, 2 sets of tyres, all the above costs plus all my gear jacket, boots, gloves, helmet, second year of insurance at 329, 2 years tax, etc. now repairs from the last day out...

I have to go back and do another ibt module in September 2018 which will be probably 300 euro then a new license 55 euro..

every time I get on the bike I put around 20 petrol into it.

I've also thrown tenners at the guy up the road who fixes stuff on the bike a good few times for small bits and pieces.

better to not think about the money

Yeh, It's costly, but it's something I need to do anyway... Even when I'm travelling, It'd be nice to rent a bike occasionally...

Advertisement