Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groves vs Cox, Mares, Santa Cruz and Light Middleweight triple header

Options
  • 14-10-2017 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭

Lots of Great Knockouts on the Groves vs Cox under card including a great win for John Ryder over Nielsen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

Very good action in the first. Groves v Cox

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭normanoffside

War in the first 2. Looks like 1 each to me but doesn't look like it will go the distance.

Even better second. This is unexpectedly entertaining.

2-1 Groves

High paced fight being pushed by Cox , Is Cox banking on Groves gassing?

• Advertisement

Groves strength and size beginning to show. He'll stop Cox eventually, but it will still be entertaining by the looks of it.

All over, Groves bodyshot in the 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 54,775 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Cox did ok. Just hit on the sweet spot.

Groves was just too big in the end. Cox went out and tried to make it a war but looked at least a division smaller.

As cleanness goes that was A1...

• Advertisement

I’m seeing Eubank breaking Groves mid to late rds. GG for me is just not great at all.

walshb wrote: »
    I’m seeing Eubank breaking Groves mid to late rds. GG first me is just not great at all.

He just looks vulnerable, even against a light middleweight like Cox, but he does carry power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Great body shot to finish it though wasn't it?

Good little scraper is Cox, maybe too early to be letting rip but fair play.

Looking forward to the semi final war that will be Groves v Eubank

He just looks vulnerable, even against a light middleweight like Cox, but he does carry power.

That will be the real deciding factor in the Eubank fight. Groves’s Power...will it be enough to really shut Eubank down? I am saying no..

That will be the real deciding factor in the Eubank fight. Groves’s Power...will it be enough to really shut Eubank down? I am saying no..

If Eubank is better than evens, I think he is really worth a bet. The tournament winner will come from these two.
    As an aside; why is DeGale not in this?

If Eubank is better than evens, I think he is really worth a bet. The tournament winner will come from these two.
    As an aside; why is DeGale not in this?

DeGale had injuries..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

So the big British fight of the WBSS is on. Looking forward to Eubank Vs Groves next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

The Light Middleweight card later tonight is looking like a great one. The best 154 lb fighters in the world going head to head for all the belts.

Predictions Lara, Charlo and Trout

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I’m seeing Eubank breaking Groves mid to late rds. GG for me is just not great at all.

His lack of stamina will be his undoing. I have a feeling Eubank's chin is good enough to take Grove's power, and as a a consequence of that Eubank will wear him down and stop him late on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Predictions Lara, Charlo and Trout

I'm leaning towards Lubin and Hurd to win. Lara should win easy though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

This tournament is the best thing to happen to boxing in years. Cannot wait for Groves - Eubank. What a fight.

Be very interesting to see how Eubank takes Groves' power. Spike O'Sullivan had him stumbling at times catching him leaning with counters. Groves should be able to do some damage I think. Definitely the more polished boxer with the power to finish it at any point.

Later it goes the more interesting it gets. Groves has his fragilities but he's very very tough. Doesn't get the credit for that fact. He'll keep going.

One of the best fights I've seen this year. Trout boxed Hurd's ears off first half of fight but didn't have the gas tank to deal with Hurd's pressure.

My opinion of Hurd doesn't really change. He's relentless but he's one dimensional as **** and there to be beat by someone in shape and fighting smart.

Also have zero idea how Hurd makes 154. He's ****ing massive!

Lubin iced in a round and twitching on the floor. ****ing hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Saw the Santa Cruz fight live on PBC and while it was a mismatch he did take some heavy shots he was in control throughout. The fourth was a savage round with Avalos taking some incredible punishment after being beaten all over the ring. Ref didnt even attempt to step in. Avalos was simply demolished.

Yet it lasted until the eighth but huge respect to Avalos who was simply outmatched by the more accurate and busy Champ.

Rematch now with Mares next but down the road would like to see the trilogy with Frampton.

Saw the Groves ko and think he will be too much for Eubank jr. Looking forward to that.

LSC looked very sloppy..

His lack of stamina will be his undoing. I have a feeling Eubank's chin is good enough to take Grove's power, and as a a consequence of that Eubank will wear him down and stop him late on

Yes, hence why his get out of jail card could be his power. Allowing him to either KO or stop Eubank, or discourage him enough to keep Eubank honest and not as frenetic/aggressive, which should help his gas engine.

Took me a while to see the Charlo KO shot. Looked to have very little force/impact on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Morrison J wrote: »
    One of the best fights I've seen this year. Trout boxed Hurd's ears off first half of fight but didn't have the gas tank to deal with Hurd's pressure.

My opinion of Hurd doesn't really change. He's relentless but he's one dimensional as **** and there to be beat by someone in shape and fighting smart.

Also have zero idea how Hurd makes 154. He's ****ing massive!

It was a great fight, Trout boxing beautifully early on but eventually being warn down. Not at the same level, but the fight drew parallels to Cotto vs Margarito I for me. Trout boxed Hurd's head off at times, but couldn't put a dent in him, and the pressure and shots coming back meant Trout was battling against the clock to get the win.
    The judges seemed to prefer Hurd's pressure anyway, so Trout was fighting a losing battle regardless.
    LSC looked very sloppy..

He really did tbh, and it's stupid stuff. Sure it's great to look the hard man because Avalos' shots couldn't shake him, but it's beyond stupid. He took a hell of a lot of shots against a fighter he's levels above, Frampton probably hit him with less in either fight.
    I know he's a proud man, but when you consider the potential for things like CTE down the line, you have to question what he was playing at !

Trout fought well, but it was like a FW hitting a WW at times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement