Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension cost

Options
  • 14-10-2017 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Looking for a rough estimate of a 20sq m extension to the side of my 4 bed semi in Cork.
    It would be built over existing waste pipe with a leant to tiled roof.Two large windows, (double glazed) with a sliding door at one end for access to the garden.
    The drain pipes coming down from the bathroom upstairs would have to be rerouted or run inside the new extension.
    The kitchen wall would have to be opened to have an open plan into the new extension. I presume an rsj will be needed there.
    The back door would have to be blocked up and reallocated to where an existing window In the utility room is.
    Access to the site is not an issue.
    I have a figure of 20k in mind but would like to come in under that!
    Would planning be needed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭g3l8usd9inoptz

if it's to the rear of the property and below 40sqm no planning required. Most builders are charging from 100 - 140 per sq foot. Steel is usually an extra cost.
    If built to the side planning is usually required.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

1. Looking for a rough estimate of a 20sq m extension to the side of my 4 bed semi in Cork.
    2. It would be built over existing waste pipe with a leant to tiled roof.Two large windows, (double glazed) with a sliding door at one end for access to the garden.
    3. The drain pipes coming down from the bathroom upstairs would have to be rerouted or run inside the new extension.
    The kitchen wall would have to be opened to have an open plan into the new extension.
    4. I presume an rsj will be needed there.
    The back door would have to be blocked up and reallocated to where an existing window In the utility room is.
    5. I have a figure of 20k in mind but would like to come in under that!
    6. Would planning be needed?

1. Builder or direct labour?
    2. Best to do drains, ensuring rodding access, lintels over pipework, certified by Eng
    3. All the more reason item 2. Is done correctly
    4. Eng will design
    5. More like 30/40k turn key by proper builder imo
    6. Yes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Looking for a rough estimate of a 20sq m extension to the side of my 4 bed semi in Cork.
    It would be built over existing waste pipe with a leant to tiled roof.Two large windows, (double glazed) with a sliding door at one end for access to the garden.
    The drain pipes coming down from the bathroom upstairs would have to be rerouted or run inside the new extension.
    The kitchen wall would have to be opened to have an open plan into the new extension. I presume an rsj will be needed there.
    I have a figure of 20k in mind but would like to come in under that!
    Would planning be needed?

20 Sq. M for 20k. Not a chance in my experience.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭SeanSouth

20K is achievable through direct labor. This means hiring and coordinating all the trades yourself and purchasing materials. I agree with others that it will cost twice this if you go via a main contractor.

The problem out there at the moment is that there are not enough tradesmen and too many construction "professionals` ( a direct function of our misguided education system) This has culminated in a system whereby the combined professional costs associated with any build are excessively high and in many situations, out of control.

And whilest i agree that greater levels of compliance are needed in large scale building projects, its simply not necessary to have engineers, architects, quantity surveyors and project managers involved and "eating out of " a small budget extension of 20 sq metres, although one of these is advisable

We will never learn in this dear little country of ours. "Feast or Famine'

• Advertisement
Advertisement