Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self build 2 bed house for 100k?

Options
  • 14-10-2017 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Wide open question here I know but do you think it would be possible to build a 2 bed house for around 80-100k all in (not including land)?

I've looked at umteen examples for self builds and modular options but still nowhere near really knowing if it would even be remotely possible here. Stuff akin to a Walter Segal style build, the irish vernacular house plans by Dominic Stevens, the nacsba yearly self build awards and other low cost self builds online on sites such as archdaily and the like (mostly European or further afield but one or two Irish) for example. I've even toyed with and drawn up a modified version of the vernacular frame above for a more versatile shape. I'm familiarish with the regs part L, u values etc and local planning requirements. My father built most of our family home so have his knowledge there too.

I'd be happy with anything from 700-1000 sq ft size wise. Timber (or similar alt) frame with full air tightness, insulated to reg requirements (sip/spray foam etc) and clad exterior (wood/onduline/other). Heat recovery system, double or triple glazed windows and wood burner. Solar gain would be integral to the design. Interior requirements would be simple and on the very low end of the scale in some peoples books. For example, I quite like the use of ply boards for some interiors. Fittings and furnishing would be similar.

So, possible for the money or am I stuck in an 'I've watched too many episodes of grand designs and George Clarkes amazing spaces' dream land?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Anyone?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Wide open question here I know but do you think it would be possible to build a 2 bed house for around 80-100k all in (not including land?

No

• Subscribers Posts: 41,394 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Wide open question here I know but do you think it would be possible to build a 2 bed house for around 80-100k all in (not including land)?

with very generous dispensations from (or interpretations of) building regulations ... maybe.

http://irishmedia.blogspot.ie/2011/08/huff-puff-and-build-your-house-irish.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Possible ? Yes, if the size was kept small, cheap finish, cut corners on regulations, black market labour and materials, a self builder who is a good with their hands etc., free labour,

Probable for the average self builder? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Tefral

893bet wrote: »

Probable for the average self builder? No.

This is it in a nutshell really. Possible with mates who are handy and will work some Saturdays and Sundays for beers, but not possible for the average Joe who has just garden tools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 prostokyiv

I've looked at umteen examples for self builds and modular options but still nowhere near really knowing if it would even be remotely possible here. Stuff akin to a Walter Segal style build, the plans by Dominic Stevens, the yearly self build awards and other low cost self builds online on sites such as archdaily and the like (mostly or but one or two ) for example. I've even toyed with and drawn up a modified version of the vernacular frame above for a more versatile shape. I'm familiarish with the regs part L, u values etc and local planning requirements. My father built most of our family home so have his knowledge there too.

I'd be happy with anything from 700-1000 sq ft size wise. Timber (or similar alt) frame with full air tightness, insulated to reg requirements (sip/spray foam etc) and clad exterior (wood/onduline/other). Heat recovery system, double or triple glazed windows and wood burner. Solar gain would be integral to the design. Interior requirements would be simple and on the very low end of the scale in some peoples books. For example, I quite like the use of for some interiors. Fittings and furnishing would be similar.

So, possible for the money or am I stuck in an 'I've watched too many episodes of grand designs and George Clarkes amazing spaces' dream land?

Why not
    You could build a SIPS house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you are doing it with cash and no mortgage you will probably get it to basic move in stage for 100k.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

elperello wrote: »
    If you are doing it with cash and no mortgage you will probably get it to basic move in stage for 100k.

We pay tax in this forum and will not be discussing/recommending tax avoidance, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just to clarify I was not advocating tax avoidance. My reference to cash was in terms of not needing to get the building to completely finished state before moving in.

Cash is not a dirty word but can be a way for a self builder to buy bargains/second hand materials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

You could build an earthship type house for that kind of money, there is at least one in Ireland that I know of so they can get permitted

• Advertisement
Advertisement