Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does "phone unlocked" mean "bootloader unlocked" too? HTC One with 3

Options
  • 14-10-2017 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I want to upgrade android with a custom rom - there's no security updates sent from three at all. I used a site called HTCUnlock but three doesn't support it.
    the phone is out of contract to i have requested the phone to be unlocked through threes website....it will take them 2 days get back....will that mean that i can install a custom bootloader on the phone too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No they just send you a code so that other networks SIMs can be used. 2 days is minimum IIRC we waited over a week when unlocking a HTC from 3 network.

euser1984 wrote: »
    I want to upgrade android with a custom rom - there's no security updates sent from three at all. I used a site called HTCUnlock but three doesn't support it.
    the phone is out of contract to i have requested the phone to be unlocked through threes website....it will take them 2 days get back....will that mean that i can install a custom bootloader on the phone too?

They are two separate things. Bootloader unlock allows you to flash custom ROMs, and is completely unrelated to being SIM unlocked.

Bear in mind that you can't just flash any new firmware on your device as it will have a 3 base. If you want to flash newer firmware than 3 provide, you will also have to go s-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

the only option out there that i can find is a service you can buy, where they will decrypt these bootloaders....
    want to run twrp and then the latest stable release of android with security updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Tony H

htc will provide an unlock to your bootloader , it might depend on the model ,

https://www.htcdev.com/

there should be a walk through there , at least there used to be .

i did try out htcdev but it's not available for three phones

• Advertisement

i did try out htcdev but it's not available for three phones

Are you sure about that? I've unlocked bootloaders on HTCs for about a decade, and never known it not to work because of a carrier.

its the case here anyway it seems...it's an old enough M8

its the case here anyway it seems...it's an old enough M8

I bought my M8 from 3 UK years ago, and unlocked the bootloader through HTC dev.

Advertisement