Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

physics question

Options
  • 14-10-2017 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

im doing experimental physics in college and i was giving a question and after 2 days of searching im sad to say i still have no better idea of how to solve it. i will post the question below but first i really want to stress i do not want the answer just a point down the right road as i want to learn how to do it but just need a little nudge in the right direction. so here is the question:

A string on a guitar gives out a note of a certain frequency. By how much must the tension in the string be increased if it is to give a note of six times the frequency, its length remaining the same?

i have a feeling it has something to do with overtones but honestly im completely lost.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

please dont give the answer.

thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

No physics education beyond leaving cert.

Two minutes googling however points me here

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Waves/string.html

There is a formula for wave frequency where string tension is a variable.

Plug in the variables and get your answer. Or if you wish manipulate the formula to give you an expression in the form 6t= whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

No physics education beyond leaving cert.

Two minutes googling however points me here

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Waves/string.html

There is a formula for wave frequency where string tension is a variable.

Plug in the variables and get your answer. Or if you wish manipulate the formula to give you an expression in the form 6t= whatever.

i was on that website but i dont have any variables what i posted was all the information i was given.

so i cant rearrange the formula to what i want?

or am i missing something really simple?

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i was on that website but i dont have any variables what i posted was all the information i was given.

so i cant rearrange the formula to what i want?

or am i missing something really simple?

Well rearrange the formula. L and M are constants so they don't really matter, why not start by multiplying both sides by 6 then start manipulating the formula to get T on its own to give yourself an expression governing how much you need to increase T by in terms of M and L.

As I said no physics education but I'm looking at it as a simple maths exercise to mess with a formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Well rearrange the formula. L and M are constants so they don't really matter, why not start by multiplying both sides by 6 then start manipulating the formula to get T on its own to give yourself an expression governing how much you need to increase T by in terms of M and L.

As I said no physics education but I'm looking at it as a simple maths exercise to mess with a formula.

ok i think i have it. the formula would be f= the square root of the tenison

so if the frequency was 6 then i would need to square this as it is the opposite to the square root so my answer would be 36?

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    ok i think i have it. the formula would be f= the square root of the tenison

so if the frequency was 6 then i would need to square this as it is the opposite to the square root so my answer would be 36?

I think so yeah. Sorry no physics education and it's been years since I've done maths that require playing with formulas but that looks right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement