Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adelaide gone: Who did ye reinsure with?

Options
  • 14-10-2017 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Just went with Principal despite being directed to CN and despite similar quote.
    Where did others go post Adelaide?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I went to CN, I'll be renewing shortly and have been hearing great things about Principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Alkers

I went to CN, I'll be renewing shortly and have been hearing great things about Principal.

Other than cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I went with CN. Matched what I was on with Adelaide. Principal wouldn't insure me .. my FZ1 was outside their limits of insurance or some other BS

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

In my humble opinion:

CN - chancers, they quoted me over €800 and then instantly dropped to less than €400 when I said no thanks as I had a better quote, nope sorry, €800 was the price you first gave, that's that. I don't mind a bit of haggling, I expect it, but to drop 50% so easily was nuts.

Principal - straight talking folks that I could actually chat to like a human, really good policy too, only thing they was they were really strict on the garaging rule, but I always keep them in the garage so not a bother. Ticked all the boxes for me.

Liberty - Girl on the phone was sound, but asked me what a steering dampner was and whether my bike was left or right had drive, good luck! :eek: Rate was OK for 1 machine, but don't do multibike so they were out.

AXA - I don't really know, it was like talking to a computer, plus their price had way too many digits. I was with them for years and years when I started, but it's like they don't even want to do bikes anymore. Shame that.

MCE - no Irish office, took a gazillion years to get through, price was low, it was a sh*t policy, with a crazy high excess (€2,000 I think), and they wouldn't tell me who the underwriter was so that set off alarm bells. Won't even bother giving them a call next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Principle seem to be the go to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Colm17RvB wrote: »
    In my humble opinion:
    Liberty - Girl on the phone was sound, but asked me what a steering dampner was and whether my bike was left or right had drive, good luck!
    Headlights dip left or right on some models for lhd or rhd.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Headlights dip left or right on some models for lhd or rhd.

Now I understand asking that question on imports for that exact reason, had that on a previous Fazer, but she also asked me was it turbo'd etc etc, so once I mentioned the dampner she just started following the modded car script. Also I said it wasn't imported so the point is moot.

Having said that Principal did ask me if there was a sidecar on the Ducati, that gave me a chuckle, the lad in there laughed and said he has to ask it every single time even though he knows it's rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

principal are a good laugh, I don't see why all insurers can't be like them. They all have to ask the same questions but at least principal don't try to keep a straight face about the really silly ones.

Don't know what they're like when you actually have to claim and I hope I never find out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Another vote for principle, CN screwed me over which I won’t go into but the lads at principle are sound, really well priced and no hassle at all

Edit one thing to double check is the ability to change Bikes mid policy, principle had me with Zurich and they wouldn’t change bike 3/4 through the year so ask that question,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

CN wouldn't insure me years ago cos I was on a provisional licence and even then when I full they still wanted something like 2+ years experience post test ... so now that I'm an old git (a safe bet) now they'll insure me? fcuk em...girl on phone with Principal was sound...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I went with MCE last year after years with Adelaide, the price was low but when I went to add a second bike half way through the policy they informed me they don't do multi bike policies. Went with principal this year, same price as MCE with lower excess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Sounds like Principal is the way to go judging from posts above. Policy up for renewal in Jan and was not looking forward to having to deal with AXA or CN

Advertisement