Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stack for jobs in Dublin

Options
  • 13-10-2017 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have posted here plenty of times, but need ome advice.

I'm trying to pick a stack for web development. I'm currently in 4th year CS, and my strongest skill would be PHP with MYSQL. I'm constantly changing my mind about what stack to my final year project in. I switch between PHP (MYSQL), the mean stack. Node with MYSQL, C#, ASP.NET MVC5, Java ect,

What currently is in demand in Dublin, and is not just a flavor of the month.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭Talisman

C# / Java / Python / Ruby / JavaScript - Choose your poison! It doesn't really matter what language you use to implement your project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Talisman wrote: »
    C# / Java / Python / Ruby / JavaScript - Choose your poison! It doesn't really matter what language you use to implement your project.

It's just my indecisiveness that's annoying me.

I come from PHP, but I never learned it properly. Just copying from a tutorial.

I'm at the start of learning node and did .net MVC in college last year. I can't decide tbh. Which would be better for graduate jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭Talisman

I'm at the start of learning node and did .net MVC in college last year. I can't decide tbh. Which would be better for graduate jobs.
    Neither is better - choose one and own it. By that I mean don't just copy and paste the code - write it yourself, learn your craft. Your experience will be limited if you aren't willing to put in the hours learning the ins and outs of a platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

PHP and MySQL isn't considered an enterprise level tech stack. It obviously has its uses but I would, and did, go with an object orientated language which is more suitable for enterprises/businesses. Java is probably the most sought after of these I think.

Python then for scripting, data and ETL if that's the way you want to go

Advertisement