Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does caffeine or tannins from tea inhibit non-haem iron absorption?

Options
  • 13-10-2017 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

Does caffeine or tannins from tea inhibit non-haem iron absorption?

Or do both caffeine or tannins inhibit non-haem iron absorption?

Which would be worse? 'Black tea + soy milk' or 'green tea'?

Is hibiscus tea ok?

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭MissMayo

Tannins hinder all types of iron absorption, you can read more about it here: http://blog.healthkismet.com/vegetarian-vegan-diet-iron-heme-nonheme

From what I can see on Google black tea contains more tannins than green tea. Rooibos tea does not contain tannins and has a somewhat similar taste to black tea. Honeybush also has a similar taste and is low in tannins.

According to a Google search hibiscus tea is high in tannins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

MissMayo wrote: »
    Tannins hinder all types of iron absorption, you can read more about it here: http://blog.healthkismet.com/vegetarian-vegan-diet-iron-heme-nonheme

From what I can see on Google black tea contains more tannins than green tea. Rooibos tea does not contain tannins and has a somewhat similar taste to black tea. Honeybush also has a similar taste and is low in tannins.

According to a Google search hibiscus tea is high in tannins.

Hi MissMayo.

Hibiscus tea has vitamin C - I wonder if that'd cancel out the effects of the tannins.

Do tannins have a bigger effect on non-absorption of non-heme iron than caffeine?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭MissMayo

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi MissMayo.

Hibiscus tea has vitamin C - I wonder if that'd cancel out the effects of the tannins.

Do tannins have a bigger effect on non-absorption of non-heme iron than caffeine?

Hi!

As far as I know, caffeine doesn't actually hinder iron absorption at all, it's only the tannins that do, the problem is that tannins are pretty much always present wherever caffeine is.

It's possible that the vitamin C in hibiscus tea would neutralise the tannins as I have read that squeezing some lemon juice into tea negates the tannins, so I suppose it depends on how much vitamin C it has. If you drink tea between meals rather than with meals you don't need to worry too much though as it will mainly only hinder iron absorb of drank with meals.

I have constant anaemia due to an ongoing medical condition so I needed to make some changes to my eating habits as I used to drink a lot of green tea so what I do now is whenever I'm having an iron rich meal (usually something with a truckload of spinach) I will make sure that meal has a lot of vitamin C rich foods such as tomatoes and red peppers, sometimes I will also drink a vitamin C rich drink with it such as cranberry juice or orange juice. I only drink tea between meals or if I'm having a meal that doesn't have any iron.

MissMayo wrote: »
    Hi!

As far as I know, caffeine doesn't actually hinder iron absorption at all, it's only the tannins that do, the problem is that tannins are pretty much always present wherever caffeine is.

It's possible that the vitamin C in hibiscus tea would neutralise the tannins as I have read that squeezing some lemon juice into tea negates the tannins, so I suppose it depends on how much vitamin C it has. If you drink tea between meals rather than with meals you don't need to worry too much though as it will mainly only hinder iron absorb of drank with meals.

I have constant anaemia due to an ongoing medical condition so I needed to make some changes to my eating habits as I used to drink a lot of green tea so what I do now is whenever I'm having an iron rich meal (usually something with a truckload of spinach) I will make sure that meal has a lot of vitamin C rich foods such as tomatoes and red peppers, sometimes I will also drink a vitamin C rich drink with it such as cranberry juice or orange juice. I only drink tea between meals or if I'm having a meal that doesn't have any iron.

Ah, that's interesting - so the tannins are the real issue. I always take some vitamin C containing fruit with meals - especially like kiwis.

I hope your anemia problem improves.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Coffee with molasses in it is nice. Blackstrap molasses is loaded with iron.

• Advertisement

Coffee with molasses in it is nice. Blackstrap molasses is loaded with iron.

Hi Axton Unkempt Gingersnap. I can't stand coffee - I don't even like the smell of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

You should say 'Blergh, I can't stand coffee.'

You should say 'Blergh, I can't stand coffee.'

:)

Advertisement