Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aluminium necked strat-shaped-object

Options
  • 13-10-2017 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭

My latest project.

I think I posted about it before, but last year the girl that sits beside me in work gave me a blue Strat knockoff for free (I gave her a bottle of rum as thanks). I'm not a really fan of strats in general, but this was particularly horrible. But who's going to refuse a free guitar?

32369857924_eefa8f40c6_c.jpg

Inspired to turn free junk into something special, I painted it matt grey, put in chrome-covered humbuckers, chrome knobs, upgraded bridge and a Tone Guard anodized aluminium pickguard that I beveled the edge on myself. From the beginning I had a vision that this needed an aluminium neck, and I've been waiting the past year for my funds and someone's run of necks to align (these things are only made by a handful of people, and in small batches that are usually oversubscribed).

Alef Guitars from Israel announced in August that they were doing a run of 20 guitar necks, so I jumped at the chance. A couple of PayPal transfers and a short wait and it arrived yesterday. Here's the end result:

23810380088_2db0d1e777_c.jpg

23810379738_33ef38d157_c.jpg

37663558041_7e95b22b76_c.jpg

37630781912_b6fee8980a_c.jpg

The neck is CNCd from a block of solid 6061 T6 aluminum, and polished to a mirror shine. Neck weight is about 1.3kg with tuners, total assembled guitar weight is 4.3kg. Neck thickness is 0.750" with no taper (same thickness at nut and 12th fret). Fretboard radius is 12". 43mm aluminium nut. Stainless Steel medium/jumbo frets and Gotoh tuners.

The neck feels really nice in the hand, and adds clarity and chime and increased sustain. Unplugged, the guitar is much louder than it was with the traditional wood neck.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That is the coolest project guitar I have seen in a long while. What a beauty! I'd love to hear it, would you think of putting up a youtube vid?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

That is the coolest project guitar I have seen in a long while. What a beauty! I'd love to hear it, would you think of putting up a youtube vid?

Thanks! I'm very happy with how it's turned out. I appreciate people being interested in how it sounds, but I'm not entirely comfortable with committing my bad playing to video. I'll have a think about it. I never feel that I would do any guitar, or song, or even set of strings, justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Air_Bass

Excellent work, that looks great. Reminds me of the Travis Bean guitar that Steve Albini uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Air_Bass wrote: »
    Excellent work, that looks great. Reminds me of the Travis Bean guitar that Steve Albini uses.

Yes, that was certainly an inspiration:

AlbiniBean.jpg

Advertisement