Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAPTOP GAMING UPGRADE

Options
  • 12-10-2017 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi! Any helpful advice appreciated. There is an elgato HD60s game capture card on Santas list but we have just realized that our 1 year old laptop doesn't fit systems requirements to run it. We have an Acer Inspire with Intel Celeron CPU N3060 @ 1.60 GHz but Elgato device requires a minimum of 4th Generation quad core Intel i5. Everything else seems ok with the laptop (Ram, graphics card etc). So what do we do? Is it expensive to updrade the CPU? Considering the lap top is only a year old I dont want to have to spend a fortune. But at the same time....Im sure santa wants to see happy faces on Christmas morning....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Probably be okay with the non S model unless it needs Quick Sync or something.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-N3060-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3470

From their own page:
    Many Pentium, Celeron, or i3 processors do not meet the minimum specifications. Check the benchmarks of your processor to see how they compare to 2nd generation i5 or i7 processors.

While for the HD60s:
    Pentium, Celeron, or i3 processors do not meet the minimum specifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 threedragons

As I suspected, Suspect! Thanks for reply

laptops are not designed to allow you to upgrade the cpu.

it can sometimes be done but it's very messy.

depends on motherboard compatibility and the cpu is probably soldered in.

I wouldn't advise trying it.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2076833/laptop-cpu-upgrade.html

Is it ok to switch out the motherboard/processor or chipset though? Thats where Im out of my depth here. Im more walkman and polaroid camera generation. Think im doing well to keep up so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You'd do well to get another motherboard that would fit into the laptop chassis, physical limitations.

As above, changing the CPU is normally a pain in the arse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Forget it. You can't do it on 99% of laptops. Definately not one with a Celeron N3060.

What games are you playing on the Celeron that you want to capture?

I bought a cheap i3 desktop for about €80 stuck a cheap gfx card in for about €80. Had a monitor already. Thats the cheapest gaming rig you are going to get.

Dont get me wrong a N3060 is great CPU, it designed to be the low powered and last forever on a battery. I've a netbook with something similar and its awesome for that. But gaming. No.

Its to rig an elgato hd60s to a new xbox one S to the laptop for streaming vids. So can you download the elgato software to the xbox instead and use the laptop for uploading vids? Sorry Im clueless here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Think you should be able to directly stream, edit and upload videos from the xbox, you'd only need the capture card if you want to get fancy with overlays, background music and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You need a new laptop or a 2nd hand desktop. You cannot upgrade that CPU. You'd get a 2nd hand i5 desktop about 4 times faster for €100-150.

Advertisement