Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Star Gaelic Football (video game)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1628481223880611&id=484547148274030

Latest update by Northern Irish games company Mojopin Studios who are developing a GAA video game. They have secured funding but need a little more too get there

Id love EA to come in and make a proper GAA game

I'd say a GAA game would be the last thing they'd consider. The market for it would be so small that it would be a loss maker. They'll never do one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Remember the Playstation 2 game? It wasn't bad, the graphics especially for the kit and even the stadiums was solid ,but like the rugby games at the time, the game play was iffy and the commentary horrendous. No real names, if I can recall

The PC also produced a Hurling manager game, never really got into it, looked alright though

• Registered Users Posts: 37,803 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Remember the Playstation 2 game? It wasn't bad, the graphics especially for the kit and even the stadiums was solid ,but like the rugby games at the time, the game play was iffy and the commentary horrendous. No real names, if I can recall

The PC also produced a Hurling manager game, never really got into it, looked alright though

The PC hurling game was very difficult and was not like the Football Manager series. It had potential but never delivered cause of its difficulty

I'd love a proper GAA management game though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I thought the first Gaelic Football game IR Gurus produced was atrocious. I think they tried to use the Aussie Rules engine and it just didn't work. The gameplay was sluggish and controls cumbersome.

I thought they tweaked a few things with the followup and it played a lot better. The hurling game was half decent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,342 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Been following the progress of this game for what seems like a decade now (not that they've given many updates on it), good to see that it's going ahead at least. They had a player rating system up on their website a good while ago where you could enter create profiles for real footballers that they'd put into the game, think it's the only way they could get around licensing.

Considering the ridiculously low bar set by IR Gurus with both of their efforts, if this doesn't release with every licensed county jersey and a good few authentic stadiums at the bare minimum, i won't be touching it. Not bothered about player likenesses or real names because there's always a way around that. I'll definitely throw a few quid at it on Kickstarter when they set that up though, provided they give us at least a bit of info about their plans for the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The first game was only half-finished and they decided to rush it out for the Christmas market, the second one wasn't great but it was at least playable.

As said there's no money to be made from it, so the big companies will never bother unless the sport takes off internationally, I'd love to see the team that made the 2K Basketball games have a go at it, they'd do a brilliant job at it, but I know that'll never happen unless someone here becomes a billionaire and bankrolls the project.

The hell?? It was absolutely rubbish

I remember lobbing balls from 50 metres out and them just floating over the keeper constantly for goals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

callaway92 wrote: »
    The hell?? It was absolutely rubbish

I remember lobbing balls from 50 metres out and them just floating over the keeper constantly for goals

It was better than expected, on par with EA Rugby at the time, another sport that computer games struggled to properly capture

I already pointed out that the game play was poor

Some games just don't transition well enough to play as a game.

Rugby and AFL are another two.

I've a feeling this will end up being developed on the same engine that the AFL games are running, it'll cut costs as the base mechanics are there. Didn't think that last AFL game was worth buying anyway when I checked footage on the xbox store.

http://www.mojopinstudios.com/2018/01/09/all-star-gaelic-football-is-coming-to-kickstarter/

'Mojopin Studios are proud to announce that we are bringing All Star Gaelic Football to Kickstarter in March! It has been a long time coming, but we are finally ready to give you all a bit more of a look at ASG Football. There will be some fantastic rewards available, with the game being the highlight of course, but there will be a reward for every level of backer who wants to do everything they can to help us bring the game to market.

We know that there is high anticipation for the game and we need that to translate into backers. So, do what you can to help spread the word, the more people that know about the game, and that back the game, the better the game can be. We will answer as many questions as we can within our Kickstarter campaign, so we won’t be answering any questions until then. We will release exact details of the Kickstarter launch soon, so stay tuned.

In related news, we will be in San Francisco to attend the Game Developers Conference in March as well. There, we will be meeting a number of potential publishing partners, which will hopefully take the game from strength to strength. We are all hands to the pump at the minute, and only look to be getting busier in the next couple of months. We look forward to showing you all a bit more soon, we hope you can repay the favour by sharing, sharing, sharing! Without you, this game cannot happen!'

• Advertisement

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mojopin/all-star-gaelic-football-video-game-for-console-an

kickstarter campaign has started, need a pledge of €34,434 by weds 9th May

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mojopin/all-star-gaelic-football-video-game-for-console-an

kickstarter campaign has started, need a pledge of €34,434 by weds 9th May

Begging for money for a game that'll never be released

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

GAA video games belong to the same realm as the interprovincials and rural railways to small towns.

People will make big noise about how Ireland is crying out for them, saying how great they could be. They will tick every box on a market research survey saying "Yes I'd pay for it".

Fast forward to the odd occasion that the thing is run/built it absolutely bombs and makes no money. People give their excuses about "no promotion/ it's not what I wanted etc."

Truth is there's just no market for a GAA video game. You'd need a billionaire to bankroll it if you want it to be any sort of quality, and even then they should be prepared to make a significant loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement