Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full factory reset

Options
  • 11-10-2017 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

I have a old compu laptop. I DID a factory reset yesterday because it was a night mare how slow it opened.

Thing is I can't download service pack for Microsoft.
    Explorer wont open curtain Microsoft pages. All that's on the page is a emoji face.
    Any ideas what wrong.

It's windows 7 and about 8 years old.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Look for Windows Update in control panel and run it from there. If it is Windows 7 pre-SP1 you may find it will take a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

yoyo wrote: »
    Look for Windows Update in control panel and run it from there. If it is Windows 7 pre-SP1 you may find it will take a long time

Thanks I've gone that route. Taking an age to check for up dates.
    Had to turn it off and noticed it started installing 29 updates.
    While it checking is downloading updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Thanks I've gone that route. Taking an age to check for up dates. Had to turn it off and noticed it started installing 29 updates. While it checking is downloading updates?

Win7 updates after from a new install could take hours.
    Check msconfig and disable anything that's not MS related and then do the updates.

It's an old operating system by now and there is lots to update. Best leaving it do its own thing overnight or while you are at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

FanadMan wrote: »
    Win7 updates after from a new install could take hours.
    Check msconfig and disable anything that's not MS related and then do the updates.

It's an old operating system by now and there is lots to update. Best leaving it do its own thing overnight or while you are at work.

Took an age but seems to have worked. Should I go back in to msconfig and enable everything again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Took an age but seems to have worked. Should I go back in to msconfig and enable everything again?

Depends on what's in there. If you did a factory reset, there'll probably be lots of bloatware installed. I'd only enable Microsoft/Intel/antivirus progs. My Win7 machine only has the Avast gui enabled in startup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement