Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural engineer

Options
  • 11-10-2017 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭

Hi, could anyone recommend a good structural engineer to carry out a survey on a house I'm buying in Carlow? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

PDS in Carlow maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd second PDS I've used them and they are very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DancingHomer

I used a very popular company in Carlow *cough cough* for a Structural Survey and wouldn't particularly recommend them. The first survey report on house A was fine, but we had a few questions and they didn't seem too interested in giving us time to get clarification on the issues they flagged.

The second survey on house B was a little odd - they were unable to find something every house has. I can only guess they couldn't get access to the room where it was located, or they didn't spend enough time looking for it.

We also saw that they had done the BER report for house B which we looked at. There is no way in hell that the house could get the modern BER rating they had given it. Not with cavity blocks and a broken heating system. No way at all. So we were left wondering if BER reports are either done over the phone with the bullshi*ting owner, or perhaps copied from neighbouring BER reports.

If i were OP, i wouldn't be rushing out to use this popular crowd in Carlow.

My main grip is really with the Surveys themselves - they are completely useless. The surveyor can't pull up floors or drill walls to spot problems. If they see cracks, it's a guess as to the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Thanks folks, I'm not anticipating any problems (fingers crossed) with this house but I guess the survey is just something to cross off the list. If anyone else has recommendations or otherwise for an engineer who would do a survey in Carlow I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭BabyWillis

Try pat buckeridge, I used him two years ago when buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Rosahane

BabyWillis wrote: »
    Try pat buckeridge, I used him two years ago when buying.

+1 My son used him and he's excellent!

Advertisement