Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for adopted sister.

Options
  • 10-10-2017 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm looking for my sister who was born in Ireland in August 1957 in Killycasson, Loughduff County Cavan. My mum's name was Lucy Reilly and she was from Carnagh Lower, Loughduff, County Cavan. My mother became pregnant when she was 18 years old she kept her pregnancy a secret from her family, as a result of this she was forced to give birth to my sister in a field in Killycasson.
    I have managed to obtain my sisters original birth certificate and her name when she was born was Mary Brigid but it is possible that her name was changed following her adoption. 
    My mother was lead to believe that my sister was adopted by a couple in America but we don't know how true this is as at that time in Ireland in 1957 there was a lot of secrecy and false information provided about adoption circumstances.
    It is also questionable if my sister was adopted by a couple in America as my mother got pregnant by a local boy and it was suggested to me during a recent visit to Ireland in September 2017 that my sister could have been adopted by one of the married sisters of the baby’s father, but we are also unsure how true this is. 

My Grandparents names were Bridget Reilly and Peter Reilly, they were also from Carnagh Lower, Loughduff, County Cavan. If you think that you knew any information relating to this adoption or if you think that you knew my mother or her family, or if you think that you remember this story please let me know as I would be so grateful if you could help me in my search for my sister. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bessboroughboy

I think the first thing to do is contact the Adoption Authority of Ireland https://www.aai.gov.ie/ to see of they can tell you which adoption agency dealt with your sister's adoption.

Usually the next step would be to contact the relevant adoption agency. As far as I know, there's a long waiting list prior to initiating a trace, but if they can match your details with the corresponding details of either your sister or an interested third party, then the process can begin much sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mary1939

Thank you for your reply. I have already been in touch with a number of different agencies but we have had no luck even though I have sent them lots of information such as her birth certificate and photographs. We are just unsure of what to do next, I have read stories where people have had no information, so as I have her birth certificate I feel like I should be able to obtain more information. I am also wondering if I have the right to apply for her adoption certificate as I am her sibling so then i may have something else to go on. Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

Does anybody know where a child born in Cavan that was going to be placed for adoption would have been sent following their birth? I know that my sister did not stay with my mother and that my mother didn't giver birth to her in a mother and baby home so I think she must have been sent somewhere on her own? Were there any places where children up for adoption would be sent on their own? Any help with this would be appreciated.

Does anybody know where a child born in Cavan that was going to be placed for adoption would have been sent following their birth? I know that my sister did not stay with my mother and that my mother didn't giver birth to her in a mother and baby home so I think she must have been sent somewhere on her own? Were there any places where children up for adoption would be sent on their own? Any help with this would be appreciated.

Advertisement