Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of medicines

Options
  • 10-10-2017 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I recently collected prescribed medicines from a pharmacy which is not the usual one for the person concerned. In any event, the medicine cost €14+ more than the price charged by the other pharmacy.

Does anyone know if there is a uniform price agreed with the HSE in respect of GMS prescriptions? If so, I presume it should be the same for private patients or am I missing something here?

In hindsight, I should have asked for the price when I left in the prescription, but it didn't register with me as I assumed the cost would be the same, irrespective of dispensing pharmacy. €14 x 12 is quite a substantial difference. Any comments or recommendations would be welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Maidhci wrote: »
    I recently collected prescribed medicines from a pharmacy which is not the usual one for the person concerned. In any event, the medicine cost €14+ more than the price charged by the other pharmacy.

Does anyone know if there is a uniform price agreed with the HSE in respect of GMS prescriptions? If so, I presume it should be the same for private patients or am I missing something here?

In hindsight, I should have asked for the price when I left in the prescription, but it didn't register with me as I assumed the cost would be the same, irrespective of dispensing pharmacy. €14 x 12 is quite a substantial difference. Any comments or recommendations would be welcome. Thanks.

Pharmacies charge a dispensing fee per product. This can be anything from 2.50 to a fiver. My local pharmacy charge 2 Euro per product but that’s rare. I was in one bigger pharmacy recently and it was 4.75. So , in theory I reckon it’s better to but 3 months or so at a time as you only pay the one dispensing fee

Advertisement