Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir fined 10,500 euro for overcharging

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

jk23 wrote: »
    http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/eir-fined-after-pleading-guilty-to-overcharging-customers-36210246.html

Honestly have to the worst company I ever dealt with in my life. I would try to be fair and give most companies a chance or a benefit of the doubt. Their customer service and rudeness made this impossible. Anyone have a similar experience with them?

I called them today to change my plan. Lovely girl on the line had it sorted in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

I moved from unlimited broadband to unlimited fiber. they charged me 16 euro extra per month for 16 months before i spotted it. it was a charge for going over my limit on an unlimited package ffs. I spent a year trying to get a refund then left them.
    They then tried to keep billing me for the next 3 months. I went to the talk to eir forum here on boards and a sound guy sorted a refund in a day. it then took me a year more to get the damn refund as they kept bsing me and the sound guy had gone from boards.
    Head over to the talk to forums and have a read of the horror stories there.

I will never deal with them again, a total sham of a company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I called them today to change my plan. Lovely girl on the line had it sorted in minutes.

That’s good to hear that you had a positive experience. The articles comments on Facebook tell a very different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

jk23 wrote: »
    The articles comments on Facebook

nogodpleaseno.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Took me 12 months and 12 phone calls along with 2 reports to comreg to get an overcharge sorted
    They couldn't fix it and credited my account to fix the priblem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

It looks like they are going to be upping the price across the board. my contact up by 6 euro a month.
    only positive i can say is that when they do this you can break out of your existing contact with no cancellation fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

They're so bad when you try to describe your experience with them to somebody you just don't know when to start

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

The fine was probably paid with the money made from overcharging

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭long_b

Absolutely laughable fine for a company of that size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

When I moved into my house over 2 years ago, there was a phone line already installed and when I tried to set up broadband, Eir kept telling me that there wasn't a phone line at my address, and then they said that there was a phone line but it was already active with some other provider and I had to get that cancelled first before I could set up my own service, but they couldn't tell me which company it was with, so I called every internet company and asked them. Eventually I borrowed an eir Fiber router, plugged it into the line and the broadband worked. So Eir was the company who had the mysterious account all along.
    i called them back, they still couldn't find it so I just bought a fiber broadband modem off done deal and plugged it in. Free broadband for me for 9 months until it stopped working and I eventually got Eir to activate a line in my name

When my contract ended, I wanted to move to vodafone because they were way cheaper. I called Eir to tell them I was leaving (queue 40 minutes hard sell by their loyalty team but they couldn't come close to vodafone's price)

I then called vodafone and tried to sign up for their service. Everything was going grand until they did a line check and it told them that my line couldn't support anything above dial-up. Which was a surprise to me because I was receiving 60mbs FTTC from Eir, I was told that Eir own the line and vodafone can't do anything if the line is registered wrong by Eir,

So, back to Eir I go and spend ages on hold to have someone check the line and be told that it is all fine with them and to go back to vodafone, only to be told the same thing by a different vodafone person, and that Eir would have to fix it.

3 or 4 phone calls later I was getting nowhere. At that time Vodafone/esb Siro was being installed in my area so I decided to just wait until it was available at my address and dump Eir completely and good riddance
    Still waiting for my final bill from Eir. Won't be the tiniest bit surprised if it's wrong and I'll have to spend more hours of my life trying to get them to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

Eir systematically overcharge and obviously on purpose. I've been forced to use their services twice. On both occasions, when I cancelled, they immediately cancelled my online access to bills, payment history etc. The next month they charged me. I'm currently working on the second time refund. The first time took 6 months and escalated calls and emails with a supervisor for 2 weeks. He stated that I could only be refunded by cheque. It took a further 30 days.

This time, It's been 2 and a half months of calling. I am finally making headroom through online chat. The agent (although most of them blatantly lie) has promised a refund to my bank account within 3 to 5 business days. I am now holding "Syed[10:05:16 AM] Could you hold for a moment while I raise a refund case?"

Now he has stated that they credited my closed account for my overcharged amount rather thsn refunding it. This seems to be standard procedure at Eir. They also promised this wouldnt happen (obviously) before I cancelled.

The outcom, or lets hope its an outcome, after alomost 3 months:
    Syed[10:09:34 AM] Here I have raised the refund case successfully. Case ID: *******. Also I have requested the concern team to process this refund at the earliest, ****.

I never received a bill either and he has agreed to send that. But lets be honest, this same issue happens to us all when we cancel because they do it on purpose. It has to be illegal. Syed seems to be the only one doing his job in that disgusting dump of a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I remember hearing that Liveline get a huge number of complaints about Eir. More than any other business.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

Discodog wrote: »
    I remember hearing that Liveline get a huge number of complaints about Eir. More than any other business.

It's no joke. How do they get away with it? I've been through it twice now. Everyone in the country probably has or doesn't really that they've been overcharged when they cancel and never receive a refund. It's only one of their systematic frauds that they get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

This probably sounds crazy but I'm moving back to Ireland after ten years away and the thing that is worrying and annoying me most is jumping into bed with any of these mobile providers. I don't want any of them to have a hand in my bank account. I may actually do a pay as you go or something to avoid the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

I had the eircom phone/internet/TV package installed in an apartment I rented on Capel at a few years ago. Eircom was the only choice we had as the place was wired for it. I spent a good two weeks trying to get them to 'locate' Capel street on their system for their fitters to come out and install everything. One of the customer support people kept asking me if I was sure the address was x Capel street and if I was sure it wasn't located in Wicklow. No I can see the fcuking Liffey from my window, I'm pretty sure.

After that, it was one screw up after another. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

mojesius wrote: »
    I had the eircom phone/internet/TV package installed in an apartment I rented on Capel at a few years ago. Eircom was the only choice we had as the place was wired for it. I spent a good two weeks trying to get them to 'locate' Capel street on their system for their fitters to come out and install everything. One of the customer support people kept asking me if I was sure the address was x Capel street and if I was sure it wasn't located in Wicklow. No I can see the fcuking Liffey from my window, I'm pretty sure.

After that, it was one screw up after another. Never again.

Their call centre is on the other side of O'Connell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

As soon as they changed the Meteor name they cut the mobile data bonuses on offer, robbing bandits indeed I would know.

Advertisement