Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBP - Touch Pad or Not?

Options
  • 09-10-2017 6:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm starting a new job this week and work will be getting me a MBP. I'm trying to decide if there's any point in getting them to stump up for the touch pad option, or to maybe get extra RAM instead. I'm a big fan of the tactile function keys, and unless the touch pad is particularly useful, I'd be tempted to ditch it.

I'll primarily be using UX/UI design tools such as Sketch, Photoshop, Invision etc.

Also, do they not sell MBPs without just USB-C ports? So infuriating. I'd almost be tempted to get another 2015 model (I have one at home) so I can keep the ports.

Thoughts welcome. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Hi

Good luck with the new job!

I work for a big IT shop, and we use a lot of macs. The newer pros are usb c only, so adapters are a must have.

The touch bars are nice, but if it was my money I wouldn’t pay the extra! However, I think apple care is a must have - the failure rates we see are lower than major brand PCs, but still would expect to have issues with a couple of percent of them over 3-5 years. And so i’d want the peace of mind that you won’t be left with a pricy & extended repair.

And this may limit you to what’s on sale now as new, as I don’t think you can get apple care on even the Apple refurbished.

If your employers can buy from a high street retailer, you might find new stock of the older build around that would be eligible for Apple care?

Paddy

Advertisement