Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyeing a leather sofa

Options
  • 09-10-2017 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a ten year old Natuzzi cream leather sofa. The sofa is structurally in great condition - the seats are all still in good shape and we still really like the design for our house. However, the leather on the main seats that we sit in (facing the TV) are starting to look a bit worn. The colour is starting to come out of them and they are looking a bit marked - we have a few kids so I guess it's not too surprising.

An image of a new version of the sofa can be seen at http://cdn3.volusion.com/yutga.fmtta/v/vspfiles/photos/TAHIRA-SOFA-2.jpg

Do any of you have any view on using a company to dye the sofa again? I see companies such as https://www.ashbourneleathercare.ie/ advertising this service. Has anyone used this sort of service and if so, how did it go?

Also, we have a 3 seater, a 2 seater and a footstool sort of thing. Even though it's only the 3 seater that is really worn, I assume you'd need to do them all to keep the colours the same?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I got two Natuzzi two seaters recoloured in 2015. They were very badly marked and faded and came up like new. The colour wasn't changed just refreshed. He told me at the time that they would probably need doing every few years and they are now starting to look shabby again so he was right, although they're not as bad as before. The colouring was great it didn't come off on clothes and could be washed for spills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭BenAndJerry

Wyldwood - thanks for your reply.

Do you mind me asking who you used to recolour your two seaters?

Much obliged!

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭newo

I'd be grateful if you could pm me also? Any idea of cost for a 3 + 2 would be great many thanks

newo wrote: »
    I'd be grateful if you could pm me also? Any idea of cost for a 3 + 2 would be great many thanks

I have just received a quote for having this done from a company in Dublin. They are looking for €515 to do a 3+2 which seems expensive to me. They do it onsite and it takes approximately four hours apparently.

• Advertisement

Mine was done onsite also and just be aware, especially if you have smallies in the house, that the odour of chemicals was powerful for several days afterwards from mine so maybe check that out.

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Mine was done onsite also and just be aware, especially if you have smallies in the house, that the odour of chemicals was powerful for several days afterwards from mine so maybe check that out.

Thanks Wyldwood - there are lots of small people in my house so this is something I will consider now (I hadn't previously) and ask about.

Does the price sound approximately what you paid?

Thanks

I think I paid in the region of €300 nearly three years ago.

Advertisement