Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost south dub renovation and extension

Options
  • 09-10-2017 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

Clueless FTB here so please be kind:)

We have viewed a house with large gardens we like in south dublin. It is 100sqm 3 bed semi 1950s ex council type house. It looks like nothing much has been done to it apart from a small kitchen extension. It is Ber E1

I would expect the existing house would require at least the following:

Insulation
    new windows and doors
    electrics-switches looked old
    heating upgrade-i expect that includes plumbing
    kitchen and bathroom

The existing internal layout is fine but we would like to create an open plan space for kitchen/dining so we would want to demolish exiting extension and build maybe roughly 40-60 sqm extension to back and side.

what kind of rough cost would we be looking at for

the existing house renovation costs and extension?

we figure we have approx 100k-140k budget, are we completely off?

would it be better to just renovate the existing house and extend at a later date or just go for it all?

many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

bettybc wrote: »
    Hi,

Clueless FTB here so please be kind:)

We have viewed a house with large gardens we like in south dublin. It is 100sqm 3 bed semi 1950s ex council type house. It looks like nothing much has been done to it apart from a small kitchen extension. It is Ber E1

I would expect the existing house would require at least the following:

Insulation
    new windows and doors
    electrics-switches looked old
    heating upgrade-i expect that includes plumbing
    kitchen and bathroom

The existing internal layout is fine but we would like to create an open plan space for kitchen/dining so we would want to demolish exiting extension and build maybe roughly 40-60 sqm extension to back and side.

what kind of rough cost would we be looking at for

the existing house renovation costs and extension?

we figure we have approx 100k-140k budget, are we completely off?

would it be better to just renovate the existing house and extend at a later date or just go for it all?

many thanks in advance

I'm in process of doing almost exactly same in south dub too.... my extension is 40m2 (any more and you will have extra wait (and cost, but not as significant as you would think) for planning permission)
    re-plumbed
    re-wired
    new windows
    external insulation
    plaster all ceilings
    New downstairs internal doors
    All floors downstairs
    Architect designed.
    Knocking some walls downstairs, new utility room, and down stairs toilet.

paying between 160-180k incl kitchen and windows. And I'm getting a few favours with elec/pumbing in that price too!!
    Doesnt include professional fees - throw another close to 10k for that (although you might get that cheaper if you go straight to an engineer - some will argue you get a better product from an architect)

Above is without touching upstairs... So on top of that I'm personally tiling and fitting the bathroom, hanging upstairs doors/architrave, laying bedroom floors, fitting built in wardrobes..

Advice: read read read on here. Get plenty of advice from different sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bettybc

Thank you so much for your reply. Someone had said to me it would be more like 2k per sqm but i thought that cant surely be right but looking at your prices its prob right considering amount of work you are doing yourself. It's so hard to know what route to go, thought a fixer upper would be better as less people interested compared to the turnkey houses but at those prices i think the improvements would come in as more than the resale value of the house in the long run. It's so hard to know what to do in this climate.

The other option is just do the renovation works on the existing house and don't extend and sell on or save up and do extension in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

bettybc wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your reply. Someone had said to me it would be more like 2k per sqm but i thought that cant surely be right but looking at your prices its prob right considering amount of work you are doing yourself. It's so hard to know what route to go, thought a fixer upper would be better as less people interested compared to the turnkey houses but at those prices i think the improvements would come in as more than the resale value of the house in the long run. It's so hard to know what to do in this climate.

The other option is just do the renovation works on the existing house and don't extend and sell on or save up and do extension in a few years

Your point about a fixer upper is valid, but only if you are able to do the work yourself, in my opinion. I did it on my last place (had no choice to be honest) but it took forever and probably still wasn't finished when i sold it.
    Anyway I got 3 quotes for the building work (plumbing/elec/windows are separate), we tendered to 5, this was the cheapest of the 3 we got back. We negotiated it down a bit, but it was just either pairing back on features or me doing some of the demolition/clearing out myself.
    So there are no bells or whistles here really (kitchen/floors basic finish, windows are upvc), but we are getting a bit done to the existing house, so its difficult to work it out as per sqm price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I had an extension done last year in Sth Dub that came in at about €1,800 per sq m for a builders finish.
    I have a thread on it here which may be of help/guidance

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057679411

Advertisement