Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bruges short trip

• 09-10-2017 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,
    Heading to Bruges late October for a few days and was wondering if anyone could recommend accommodation? Also if anyone has any 'not-to-be-missed' rec's, much appreciated. I'm thinking of doing a tour to Flanders Field for one of the days - has anyone been?
    Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I grew up in Dublin. I love Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Stellasmurf

Thanks for your informative reply. I did grow up on a farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Sorry, that's from In Bruges :D

Can't help you with accommodation but did love Brussels when the Christmas markets were on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Thanks for your informative reply. I did grow up on a farm.

It's from the movie 'In Bruges' which I recommend watching before going.

We stayed in a couple of different places while we were there, House of Bruges was by far the best. Amazing rooms, staff and breakfast. I can't remember the names of the other two, but they were decent. Martin's Hotels have a couple in Bruges, and if they're as nice as the one in Brussels they're great too. I haven't been to Flanders.

Oh! Haha, I was very confused there for a minute. I saw that movie years ago so will watch again before I go :) Thansa  mill for the replies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Bruges is like a living museum so I do not feel that there are many things you need to spend money on to visit. My major recommendation is to visit the Golden Boom brewery. It is informative, the guides have very dry humour and part of the visit takes you to the roof where you have an uncommon view of the surrounding area (plus you get one of their drinks at the end).

http://www.palm.be/en/degoudenboom

Most hotels are very similar so just have a look on Booking.com for a good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

was there this time two years ago we stayed in a small hotel called the Europa nice and clean and close to the old town center, lots of places to go and see the old city is surrounded by canals and gate houses over them. Loads of pubs if your into beer or chocolate shops if you'd like that!
    some places worth a visit
    Tyne Cot Cemetery
    Ypres Salient Battlefields
    Hill 62
    Menin Gate Memorial
    Cloth Hall in Ypres
    Passchendaele
    we also went to Dunkirk which isn't that far away
    here's a few clips of our visit there;

Youtube Bruges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Can i ask how you are getting there? Charleroi/Brussles and Bus/Train to Bruges??

Flying into Brussels and then train from there. I've not booked a train yet - is this something I should do in advance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

You can buy the train ticket on the day at the train station under Brussels Airport, either from a manned desk or a machine (which also have English in their menu)

I did a tour of the WW1 battlefields and cemeteries (departing from from Ypres though - most tours depart from there) and was really good.
    In Ypres there is the "In Flanders Fields" museum, very interactive and very good also.

Another side trip from Bruges is Sluis in the Netherlands (the border is very close), a small and picturesque town with a windmill. You can get there with bus 42 from Bruges train station.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    It's from the movie 'In Bruges' which I recommend watching before going.

We stayed in a couple of different places while we were there, House of Bruges was by far the best. Amazing rooms, staff and breakfast. I can't remember the names of the other two, but they were decent. Martin's Hotels have a couple in Bruges, and if they're as nice as the one in Brussels they're great too. I haven't been to Flanders.

I've stayed in Martin's Hotel just off the main square there and it was very nice. Comfortable, nice rooms and very central.

OP, Bruges is lovely, I have been twice and have recommended it to everyone I know :) It is very small so everything is within walking distance. I'd recommend taking one of the boat trips on the canals and taking the walk out to the windmills just outside the town if you fancy getting out of the middle of the town. It can be quite touristy but not in an overwhelming fashion. The first time I went it was in October too (early Oct), it was still relatively warm (wearing a light jacket most of the time). The only thing I'd avoid is the Historium Bruges experience on the main square - it's not great, more of a 3D interactive type thing but with so much real history all around, it's not very impressive. There is a bar in there on the first floor with a balcony overlooking the main square so that is worth popping into if you can get a seat outside. You don't need to be visiting the Historium to go in to the bar but it has limited opening hours.

Thins I enjoyed visiting:
    - the belfry for the view from the top
    - basilica of the Holy Blood - for the opulent beauty inside. There will be a priest guarding the "holy blood" while people file past, I found that strange but you can look around without going near that if you want.
    - Stadhuis - a very beautifully ornate town hall
    - all of the chocolate shops!
    - this meringue café - Aux Merveilleux De Fred - even just to look in the window :D

As far as I can remember, nothing was more than a few euro to enter and churches are free/may have signs requesting a donation. The whole place is very pretty so even a sunny walk around the place or a coffee outdoors is fantastic.

If you are there on a Saturday there is a huge market on the 't Zand with food, clothes and other bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

We stayed in hotel Navarra when we visited lovely central hotel. Bruges is beautiful you will enjoy

Advertisement