Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

contention?

Options
  • 09-10-2017 9:38am

I've been using a Huawei b593s-22 router on the vodafone 4G network for the past two years or so. Download speeds were consistently between 20-30 and upload 5-7, which was quite satisfactory for me.

Recently however the download speeds have dropped to a max of about 5 and often below 1 ! with the upload still in its former ranger of 5-7.
    The strange thing, for me, is that the low download speeds seem to be at all times of day eg at 5am and 6am its still low.

Im about 6 miles from the mast and had expected contention to develop eventually but was hoping that mobile fibre roll out would lessen 4G demand.

What do you think, is this contention?

Obviously I will contact vodafone but want to do some research first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its low in the middle of the night then chances are your issues are signal related not contention.

ED E wrote: »
    If its low in the middle of the night then chances are your issues are signal related not contention.

Thats what was puzzling me too, but is it logical that signal issues would only affect the download but not the upload segments?

I tested a similar system for my parents and found that the SNR went into negative values at times. When it did, the download speed dropped to below 1Mb but the upload stayed constant at 30. So I suppose it can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats what was puzzling me too, but is it logical that signal issues would only affect the download but not the upload segments?

In TDD(Mainly in the US) no, but with FDD its possible as the frequency for upload is slightly above/below the frequency used for download.

Get an extension lead and get it as high as you can for five minutes. Thats often indicative.

Advertisement