Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas in Carlow

Options
  • 08-10-2017 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

I've been living in Carlow since 2015 and for the past two Christmas' I've been here have been quite dull.

There is no real atmosphere around or build up. If you look at Wexford as an example they have a ice skating rink, outdoor cinema with Christmas movies/classics a mini Christmas market other events going on. The same with Waterford they have a big Christmas festival .

Would Carlow not benefit from something similar? It would give people an incentive to come in to town and possibly end up shopping or even just a lift going for a coffee after whatever attractions were around.

Pop up shops etc could also possibility. I have grown to love this town and would really love to see it thrive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Totally agree, people love anything xmas related and will go in their droves. The Christmas fair in Ducketts Grove is a disaster because so many people go so the roads get clogged. To clarify the fair itself is lovely but whats the point if you cant get in or out!

Who's responsible for planning and executing these kind of things, town council?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

I am looking for a place to eat at lunchtime that's not horrible for 12 to 13 euro. That's my Christmas wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

Totally agree, people love anything xmas related and will go in their droves. The Christmas fair in Ducketts Grove is a disaster because so many people go so the roads get clogged. To clarify the fair itself is lovely but whats the point if you cant get in or out!

Who's responsible for planning and executing these kind of things, town council?

I'm not to sure. I did send a message to love carlow because they seem to be doing a fair bit and are associated with the chamber as far as I know. There's tonnes of things that could be done through the year.

Its just how to go about it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

cocaliquid wrote: »
    I am looking for a place to eat at lunchtime that's not horrible for 12 to 13 euro. That's my Christmas wish.

Cibo is quite nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

Cibo is quite nice!

their old chipper was quite good as well :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

cocaliquid wrote: »
    their old chipper was quite good as well :D

they had a chipper in town? please tell me it was golden grill and thatcibo is selling the same chips, curry and battered sausages!!! :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

tommycahir wrote:
    they had a chipper in town? please tell me it was golden grill and thatcibo is selling the same chips, curry and battered sausages!!!

Nope the owners of that are down in tonys now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

I've been living in Carlow since 2015 and for the past two Christmas' I've been here have been quite dull.

There is no real atmosphere around or build up. If you look at Wexford as an example they have a ice skating rink, outdoor cinema with Christmas movies/classics a mini Christmas market other events going on. The same with Waterford they have a big Christmas festival .

Would Carlow not benefit from something similar? It would give people an incentive to come in to town and possibly end up shopping or even just a lift going for a coffee after whatever attractions were around.

Pop up shops etc could also possibility. I have grown to love this town and would really love to see it thrive.

There is actually a Christmas in Carlow committee.

I'm not part of it, but just wanted to draw your attention to it and the fact that it is a work in progress.

I'll attach the link to last year's booklet so you can see what went on around the county. Even looking back over it now, I was surprised there was so much going on.
    http://www.carlowtourism.com/site-assets/uploads/2012/04/Christmas-in-Carlow-20161.pdf
    Two events that my smallies look forward to every year is the turning on of the Christmas Lights and the jingle bell jog, which we've turned into a lovely family day out with the grandparents. And the kids talk about them ALL YEAR ROUND!

Advertisement