Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Sonos and how do I stop its notifications?

Options
  • 08-10-2017 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Moto G 2015 3rd gen, Android 6.0.1. I may have unintenionally started the notifications, when recently a friend's face popped up on my lockscreen, in one of those little disc-shaped images (forget what they're called?).

I touched it (assuming it was flagging up a gmail message or a personal message on Facebook), and it went to some kind of forum/social network. It looks pretty harmless, but I'm just not interested in adding it to the social networks I already use. I promptly trawled it for some way of opting out, but couldn't find any. (Can't remember any more details, and haven't touched on its notifications since, hoping the inactivity would make it go away).

The notifications have been popping up with irritating frequently ever since, with faces I don't know, seemingly whenever anyone says anything there. I can't find any phone settings to stop them (or any trace of a relevant app).

The images have the Google logo at their side, and a smaller icon of a picture I can't decipher. (I use the Nova bootloader, in case it makes any difference, in order to keep screen clutter at bay!).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I cant make any sense of your post. Your pop up notification face thing sounds like the chat heads function of facebook messenger. That can be turned off in the app.

Nova is a launcher not a 'bootloader' and I don't know why you mention sonos in your title as you don't mention it once in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Sorry, I wasn’t being clear, and thank you all for helping me (hopefully!) fix it.

These notifications always said something about 'Sonos’ (but I couldn't remember what at the time). I've just had a closer look at one, and it says 'New story on Sonos’, and it led to what looked like a website of news items, so I thought the notifications (including the one with my friend’s face) were recomments on the news. (The small icon with the chat head looked to me like a newspaper, if anything).
    Some further scrolling down, though, confirmed that this was Sonos the speaker manufacturer. I did go to several sound equipment sites when researching speakers earlier this year. I found Sonos does have a Facebook page. Maybe I wanted to ask them a question and had to ‘like’ the page to do so - I can’t remember. Maybe my friend has liked the same page, giving Google/whoever an excuse to push it to my phone (I might well have looked at Sonos speakers, but it would have been about 6 months ago, and the notifications only started about 2 weeks ago).

Anyway, I’ve blocked Sonos in my Facebook, and maybe that’ll do the trick.

Thanks for the pointer!

P.s. I do know Nova is a launcher, it's just that I'm relatively new to smartphones and Android, and was confusing launchers and bootloaders in my haste.

• Moderators Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Spocker

The 'New Story on ...' thing is a feature of Google/Android, they are leveraging your search history to bring you more details on that search item, which just an ad in disguise (cuz Google are just a company that sells ads at the end of the day)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

I was forgetting to look in Messenger!

I've now done that, found 'Flexson for Sonos' ('Accessories for songs'), and turned off messages from it. I also found the original chat head I saw with my friend's face, with a friend of hers I don't know. It said "(my friend) created this group". She's only an infrequent user of social media, and I'd guess she unintentionally made the 3 of us into e.g. a Google Hangouts group. I've deleted that too in Messenger. It's also possible that one of us entered a Sonos competition.
    The small logo that was a bit like a newspaper turned out to be a portable radio.

I didn't have to buy/register a Sonos product for Google's leveraging to work (it was Mackie speakers I bought).

• Advertisement
Advertisement