Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bright colour paint full house

Options
  • 07-10-2017 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi

We are doing renovations to our home - walls have just been skimmed so we are now looking at colours to paint full interior of house. For now we are thinking to paint all rooms in same colour is this silly? We want a bight warm colour there is multiple shades of cream, whites, yellows on offer. We were thinking linen from dulux range.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Be very careful with that 'linen' - if its the one I think it is, its actually yellow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Candlemania

Usually it's the houses for rent that have one colour throughout - 'magnolia', 'buttercream' or the likes... I used to live in one painted like that for many years and I can tell you that one can get really fed up with it really quickly.

In my new house I chose the same colour of paint only in the hallway and the kitchen, but for the living room and the bedrooms I chose different colours, so each room has its own character. The colours I chose were neutral: creams, beiges and light greys, so it's not like I went for anything bold or crazy, but it's nice to have a bit of a variety I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭goldlocks10

Use colour trend paint. Love it. Good quality. Only found it after I painted my whole house off white. Now we are painting all the room in colour we like. So you end up painting the house twice. Just take some time and do the rooms one by one. Save time and money

Use colour trend paint. Love it. Good quality. Only found it after I painted my whole house off white. Now we are painting all the room in colour we like. So you end up painting the house twice. Just take some time and do the rooms one by one. Save time and money

I don't see any difference qualitywise or choicewise between Colourtrend and Dulux... Both companies release seasonal brochures with a certain range of colours to choose from, but if you really want to, they have a colour chart for trade and in there you have all the colours of the rainbow to choose from.

dulux-trade-latest-colours-1.jpg

My only advice would be that if you have small children or are expecting a baby and you are going to move in to your new house soon after painting, then it's best to choose water-based paints with low/no VOC (volatile organic compounds) - brands such as Farrow&Ball or Natura. They are more expensive, the choice of colours is limited, but after all, you're protecting your little ones from getting respiratory problems such as asthma in the future. I read a research, where they measured the level of VOC's in the air of a newly painted house. 7 months after, VOC's were still present. So the paint may not smell any more, but it's particles are still there...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

Thanks all we are now leaning towards different colours throughout the house leaning towards soft orchid now in hall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

My only advice would be that if you have small children or are expecting a baby and you are going to move in to your new house soon after painting, then it's best to choose water-based paints with low/no VOC (volatile organic compounds) - brands such as Farrow&Ball or Natura. They are more expensive, the choice of colours is limited, but after all, you're protecting your little ones from getting respiratory problems such as asthma in the future. I read a research, where they measured the level of VOC's in the air of a newly painted house. 7 months after, VOC's were still present. So the paint may not smell any more, but it's particles are still there...

Does F+B has lower VOCs than, say, Colourtrend? Is this borne out by the data sheet?

Does F+B has lower VOCs than, say, Colourtrend? Is this borne out by the data sheet?

Here you are - VOC content for an interior paint:
    Colourtrend 30g/L
    Farrow and Ball 6g/L

https://www.colourtrend.ie/system/technical_data/attachments/000/000/094/original/2016_Interior_Matt_Data.pdf?1459525668

http://farrowandball.btxmedia.com/pws/client/images/content/advicesheets/GBEEM.pdf

Advertisement