Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting My First Android Phone

Options
  • 07-10-2017 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

As the title suggests, I'm getting my first Android phone at the end of this month. I've been using iPhones for years and now want to make the jump.

I'm looking to buy sim free as I don't want to lock myself into a two year contract and I'm having trouble choosing a device.

I'm looking to spend €500-€600.

I currently have my eye on a OnePlus 5 64GB but I've also looked at the S8+ and Xperia XZ Premium.

What would you suggest?

I didn't think I'd be able to get an S8+ for my price range but the following link suggests I could (never heard of them though):

S8+ Link

I know the S8+ has the better design with the edge to edge display but I'm concerned about longevity and the device slowing down over time (which I've heard about).

Although the OnePlus 5 has an older style of design, from what I've read it's lightening fast.

With the Xperia XZ Premium, I suppose I just like the idea of playing my PS4 remotely on my phone (but again tbh, anytime I tried to do that on my Vita it was practically unplayable - same when I tried to play through my Mac).

What would you suggest? Anything else to throw into the mix?

A Note 8 would be immense but unfortunately I don't think I could justify the price tag.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Chinese phones all the way for me. Particularly detailed thread over here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057438440

Xiaomi in particular make premium phones for a lower price than the likes of Samsung.

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/android-smartphones/xiaomi-mi6-review-3659575/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Hi All,

As the title suggests, I'm getting my first Android phone at the end of this month. I've been using iPhones for years and now want to make the jump.

I'm looking to buy sim free as I don't want to lock myself into a two year contract and I'm having trouble choosing a device.

I'm looking to spend €500-€600.

I currently have my eye on a OnePlus 5 64GB but I've also looked at the S8+ and Xperia XZ Premium.

What would you suggest?

I didn't think I'd be able to get an S8+ for my price range but the following link suggests I could (never heard of them though):

S8+ Link

I know the S8+ has the better design with the edge to edge display but I'm concerned about longevity and the device slowing down over time (which I've heard about).

Although the OnePlus 5 has an older style of design, from what I've read it's lightening fast.

With the Xperia XZ Premium, I suppose I just like the idea of playing my PS4 remotely on my phone (but again tbh, anytime I tried to do that on my Vita it was practically unplayable - same when I tried to play through my Mac).

What would you suggest? Anything else to throw into the mix?

A Note 8 would be immense but unfortunately I don't think I could justify the price tag.

I wouldn't wee on a Samsung... Currently on my best phone yet and it's a Sony Xperia believe it or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I wouldn't wee on a Samsung... Currently on my best phone yet and it's a Sony Xperia believe it or not!

Which Xperia? I really like the XZ Premium's design. Has anyone tried remote play with an Xperia device? Is it better than trying on a Vita or through a Mac?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Which Xperia? I really like the XZ Premium's design. Has anyone tried remote play with an Xperia device? Is it better than trying on a Vita or through a Mac?

xz F8331 ..love it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,969 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

shuffles03 wrote:

I have an s8 since launch and I had an s6 before that. The battery life of the s6 got noticeably shorter after only one a few weeks. I haven't noticed this at all with the S8.
    I haven't used any of the other phones you mentioned so can't compare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I have an s8 since launch and I had an s6 before that. The battery life of the s6 got noticeably shorter after only one a few weeks. I haven't noticed this at all with the S8.
    I haven't used any of the other phones you mentioned so can't compare

How do you find the S8? Any noticeable lag? That's my big concern with that device (based on previous Samsung phone reviews I've watched).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,969 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

shuffles03 wrote:
    How do you find the S8? Any noticeable lag? That's my big concern with that device (based on previous Samsung phone reviews I've watched).

I haven't had any issues at all.

There is an s8 thread. You'll get the good, bad and the ugly there. It will answer any of your questions

Advertisement