Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing branches from half acre of forestry

Options
  • 06-10-2017 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all. I recently bought 6 acres of land of which there is about half an acre planted in sitka spruce (18 years old spruce). I want to clear fell this and turn it back into grazing ground. I am currently looking into people who might cut it for me but my real question is what to do will all the branches left over. Does anyone know of anyone who would be interested in mulching the branches for a commercial biomass boiler or something along these lines? There is good road access to the half acre of ground.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Moocifer

You won't be able to clear that without a felling licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Hi all. I recently bought 6 acres of land of which there is about half an acre planted in sitka spruce (18 years old spruce). I want to clear fell this and turn it back into grazing ground. I am currently looking into people who might cut it for me but my real question is what to do will all the branches left over. Does anyone know of anyone who would be interested in mulching the branches for a commercial biomass boiler or something along these lines? There is good road access to the half acre of ground.

Hi Supperdooper,
    Seems a shame to cut the sitka so soon, its nearly ready by now, why don't you thin it, and wait another 10 years before felling, the timber will then be worth a good few pound, whereas the 18 year old sitka will not be worth much.
    tim

Advertisement