Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Maths!

Options
  • 06-10-2017 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I’m in leaving cert now and I was in higher level maths for the start of fifth year , but fell behind and dropped to ordinary level, I’m finding ordinary level very easy, I’m wonderig would it be possible to pass the higher level maths exam (not looking for a high grade just a pass eg 40%+) while doing ordinary maths in school. If need be I could get grinds, but is this possible ? Or is a pass in higher level too much of a jump from a O1?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's a different course.
    You would have to cover the stuff that isn't on the Ordinary Level course.

If you got grinds for the extra stuff it's probably possible, but it's quite a jump up.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

If you stood your ground, they can't stop you from moving back into the higher level class in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Not sure it's about standing your ground or not. As spurious said it is a different course. If you are able to get an O1 then you certainly have the ability to pass higher level maths but it would take huge work to catch up on what you have missed. Less than 3% of students that sat the Ordinary Level paper last year got an O1 so that's no walk in the park either. Very little that you did in Ordinary Level would cover you for any part of a Higher Level exam question, most years. Any student in our school that that got an O1 and had been in Ordinary for most of 5th and 6th would be able for very little (if any, maybe a few graphs etc) of the Higher Level paper, though they all would have been able if they stuck with it originally, if you get what I mean.
    There is crossover with topics in so far as say, complex numbers, is on both courses but the detail required is very different and so studying it at ordinary level may help get you started but would only scratch the surface in terms of getting up to where the rest of the class would be at.
    Certainly not impossible, but you would have to not only have to redo all the topics the 5th years did last year but also keep up with what they are currently doing. Its down to how much time you have and how willing you are to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

Skippy, I agree with you but I have a friend who repeated her leaving cert and when she repeated 6th year she moved up from Ordinary level to higher (against teachers advice) for the 25 extra points. She wouldn't have been a natural at maths but managed it. I was just telling OP to stand her ground and move up because I don't understand why she would want to stay in the ordinary class but do the higher paper, I thought maybe it was because teachers weren't allowing her to move back up.

Advertisement